Toilet training confused ??

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Carebear32, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Carebear32

Carebear32 Registered Users

Hi all.

We are using a crate for toilet training. So this is my question. Izzy did a wee at 8.30 brought her outside at 8.55 as she was sniffing around stayed for five mins she didn't do anything put her in her crate for 5 mins brought her out waited 5 still nothing back into crate for 10 mins and then she fell asleep when I took her out it was a struggle to get her out brought her outside waited 5 mins nothing.

Back into crate and she is now snoring away. So did I do it right? do I now lift her again in 10/20 mins or just leave her to sleep ???

Thanks.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Toilet training confused ??

I'd probably let her sleep but keep a close eye and be prepared to take her out when she wakes up. If your crate is small enough she should be motivated not to wee in it (as it's her bed).

This article mentions the use of a crate for toilet training: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/house-training-your-labrador-puppy/

3. Carebear32

Thanks Rachel.

She came out of her crate at 10 and she did a wee then.
    Also when you put them in the crate do you close the door ? Thanks.
    It's all so mind boggling at the moment !!!

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you're using the crate for toilet training then, yes, close the door :) Don't leave her in there for longer than you know she can hold on though.

It sure can feel confusing at times :)

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The hardest thing I found when keeping an eye on her was knowing the difference between sitting and squatting to wee - there is hardly any difference! So Tatze was often whisked outside when all she wanted to do was sit down!!

But it didn't take us long to read other 'signs' of her needing a wee. We took her out a LOT 'just in case'.

By 12 weeks we had very few accidents, then by 16 weeks we could start extending the areas in he house where she was allowed. We never had one wee on carpet - hurrah (pats own back and Tatze's ;) )

6. Carebear32

Thanks guys ! She is with us 6 days and e have had 4 accidents altogether. And that was in the first 2 days. Not bad considering I also have a 10mth old. That is good to know by 12 weeks you had little or no accidents. So there is an end in sight !!! Lol.