Toilet training Dexter!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, Apr 10, 2014.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Toilet training Dexter!

Hmm OK Angela I admit I am confused as to why Dexter can't go for a wee in the garden maybe that is the issue? Sorry if I have missed something obvious ::) x

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

He want him to wee in the garden Helen so he doesn't burn his feet on the sizzling pavement going over to the park to toilet...but he WONT! He's holding it in until he gets walked,I'm just worried it's going to cause him a mischief holding it! X

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think you are right to be (a bit) worried - I don't think it's great having a dog not pee on a regular basis.

Umm....ok, can you have him pee in a tray and pour it on the spot you want him to go in your garden? ;D ;D ;D

4. Dexter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5354.msg71638#msg71638 date=1398699586]

Umm....ok, can you have him pee in a tray and pour it on the spot you want him to go in your garden? ;D ;D ;D

[/quote]

You think?i can try it tomorrow.....anything that might help me train it.when the torrent issued forth when we left the boundary of our property this eve ::) I gave him a massive chunk of chicken that was practically straight from the oven.....this was to reward him doing the wee ....but there's the potential for him to understand he's being rewarded for weeing in that location!god,after the week I've just had this feels like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill!

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

That makes sense - if you can get the scent of his wee into your garden maybe he'll smell it and realise that it's ok to go there.

I know of people having problems with dogs not toileting on walks because they have associated toilet on walks with turning around and going straight home, so they hold on to it to drag the walk out longer. Maybe this is something similar - he's refusing to go in the garden because he wants to go to the park as he knows he'll get a 'walk' even if it's just for toilet time. Can you take him out somewhere else for a week or so? Whilst he is still learning it's ok to toilet in another place?

6. Dexter

I'll get busy with a tray tomorrow,Lordy!
    Thanks Lauren,he will really go anywhere EXCEPT the garden!i can't believe he's being like this,he's an affable ,easy going dog,not headstrong at all.i know he won't be doing it to be difficult but you have hit the nail on the head about the park being more attractive because it did equal an extra walk through the winter and most times a sneaky play if we came across any other dogs.ive caused this but I didn't think it would be so tricky to tweak....oh well ,there's always something!worse case scenario HRH Dexter Pops will be getting carried across the road so he doesn't burn the royal paws! ;D

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I can completely see why you'd want to crack this - I'd be stuck if Charlie wouldn't go in the garden (I think the fact we have fox visitors helps him want to pee all over my plants though).

I don't think it's unusual, they probably want to travel a fair bit away from their dens to toilet or something like that.

I hope the pee tray works!

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well, just playing Devil's advocate a bit...

I understand about the hot pavement thing, but do you really know how much their feet can endure? I'm just thinking of Simba on the opposite side of the scale, walking on cold pavement at -30C weather. Something I certainly could NEVER do in bare feet, but he could tolerate it for a surprisingly long period of time without showing discomfort (lifting up feet). Same with my two previous dogs, who also endured similar temps. I did check into it before I took him out though (as I did in the case of previous pooches ::)), just to make sure, looking into the research on dog's feet and pads it is quite amazing. Their physiology is quite different from ours, so don't assume that just because we can't do it then they can't either.

I don't think it's harmful for them to hold it, I mean, as I said before, at times Simba has held it for over 12 hours, and that being his own choice. I really do think that if Dexter got to the point where it was difficult for him to cross the pavement he would show you somehow, ie refusing to go, lifting his feet up while crossing, or whatever, and if he absolutely had to go pee but his "preferred" spot was not available, he would, as evidenced by normally housetrained dogs having accidents in the house if left inside too long or whatever.

So, maybe (?) you are worrying unnecessarily?? ???

Just a thought....

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

It is odd that the dogs won't go to the loo in the garden, I have never had it before until I had these two Labs. With the GSPs I just used to go out in the garden last thing at night and ask them to "be quick" and they would oblige, the Labs just say 'NO' :)

Maybe you could get your OH to pee in the garden and maybe Dexter would do it in the same place!

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I was mulling this over earlier (didn't come up with anything)

I think Julie and Stacia may have a point though.....
    Any chance you could borrow a friend's dog and get them to wee in your garden. Of course, Dex might not be one of those dogs who like to wee over others scents, but I know Lilly does this all the time, and I am sure we have discussed this before with others doing it.
    Any chance this might work?

I would go for another dog before your OH though - I hear that the authorities can get a bit iffy about odd behaviour in your neck of the woods :D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=5354.msg71698#msg71698 date=1398710613]
    I understand about the hot pavement thing, but do you really know how much their feet can endure? I'm just thinking of Simba on the opposite side of the scale, walking on cold pavement at -30C weather. Something I certainly could NEVER do in bare feet, but he could tolerate it for a surprisingly long period of time without showing discomfort (lifting up feet).

I don't think it's harmful for them to hold it, I mean, as I said before, at times Simba has held it for over 12 hours, and that being his own choice.
    [/quote]

It's an interesting question about how hot is too hot for paws. I suppose I was thinking (with no evidence whatsoever, I really don't know) that its very logical that dogs are not equipped to deal with very hot manmade surfaces, concrete, tarmac, etc. Whereas they very might be fine with the cold, that you'd expect the dog's ancestors to cope with. It's true, I don't know though.

I had read that asking a dog to hold on too long can cause infections and crystals - but only on the Internet rubbish thingy so could be nonsense (although it possibly was in my first puppy book). Not that Angela is going to ask Dex to do that anyway, she'll be pulling him along in a personalised cart first. My OH wants to get one for his Brompton! (Because Charlie is only allowed to walk 30mins, we can get to the park and back, but not round it).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/dog-trailer

Ha ha ha ha ha! The chaos that Charlie would cause in a cart attached to a bike! ::) ;D ::) ;D

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Love the doggy cart ;D ;) would love to see what havoc Charlie would cause ;)

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would guess that basically his toilet training has (in his head at least) included the garden. In his mind, going in the garden is as big a no-no as going in the house.

I do not think, myself, that it is a problem to have a dog hold on for 10 hours. Obi has to, a couple of days a week. My previous dog was at home by himself 5 days a week when he was an adult. He did this right till the end of his life at 14 yrs.

But if you really want him to go during the day I totally understand that :) I like the dog boots idea. We used these for our old doggie around the house: http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex_3?sc=2&category=11 They are quick and easy to put on.

Do you have any plants in your yard? Can you make a small garden bed and grow a tree in it?

15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

16. Dexter

Thankyou Lisa,really kind of you to go to the time to pull that off for me....a while ago,before I even had Dexter I was doing a favour for my friend and called Into her vets ,there was the most awful picture in the reception of a dog with burnt paw pads and it was the vet that told me about testing a surface with your own feet before you ever walk your dog on it......
    There are boots in the shops here...not a big seller as you never see any dogs wearing them!poor Dexter he always has to be the one with the embarrassing fussy Dogmum!
    Thanks everybody for all the suggestions,I think I'll try and borrow a dog before I get Chris doing a demonstration :eek: ;D....and I'll try the tray trick.....this mornings effort at 5.30 didn't work,I think the tray was too big and was putting him off while I tried to slide it under him....poor lad,he's having enough bother and fuss without me adding to it!hes doing his few hours at daycare this morning so I'll try when we get in....
    Sorry if you think I'm making a drama :-[ thanks for all being so considerate....if I can't get him to use our property,I'll just try and get him out in the park by 10.30. And then if he lasts until his 6 pm walk its a little bit less time to hold.....I wouldn't worry when I know some of your dogs habits,it's only because I feel I'm 'forcing' him to hold that I'm worrying :-\ x

17. Dexter

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Angela, did you have this issue with Dexter last Summer? if not I just wonder what has changed ??? x

If it helps both Hattie and Charlie can hold on for a good 15 hours which is their choice because when it's pouring down they don't like to get their paws wet ::)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

hmmm...am I alone in thinking it's not good for a dog to go hours and hours without a pee? Even if they choose to do so (my boy would decide to do an awful lot of things that wouldn't be good for him, left to his own devices). In a human, we wouldn't think this was good at all - I would have worries about bladder infections and things like that.

You all might be right, though. Haven't got a reason to worry, I suppose, just what I randomly think. Must look it up - at some point.