Toilet training Dexter!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, Apr 10, 2014.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Toilet training Dexter!

I do see what you mean Julie but never any bladder infections in either of them. If I do get them outside close the door, they won't wee (I have watched) and they are barking/ringing to come straight back in so not a lot can be done ::)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi is the same. We have to shoo him out the door and shut it or go outside with him when we get home from work, otherwise he won't wee.

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You can buy a 'pee post' in the UK, it is highly scented and is supposed to incite the dogs to urinate on it. I bought one, it stank to high hell and the dogs ignored it! However, my friend who has several Labs, had a special area with astro turf (plastic grass!) and a pee post and all her dogs used it.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions....only just getting a chance to check back in now.....
    Helen I didn't have any problem last year as he had a place he went in the back garden ???....when we went away last September he was left with his sitter for 10 days...she was doing 4 smaller walks with him rather than the 2 big ones I do......so he just got into the habit of toileting on his walks and not needing to ask to go out.ive been guilty of carrying this on through the winter as it's been so tempting and nice to take him round the park for a little 10 mins while the weather was so good after being penned up so much in the Summer....I just thought he'd get back into the old ways easily with a bit of work :'(
    Today has been useless...I discovered a massive bee hive in the garden,honeycomb and everything....the pest control people have been and sprayed....everywhere ......because there's been a red back spider scare in the community in the last month...garden is a no go zone for pets and animals for 4-6 hours...I've knocked off typing this because he went and sat back the door to be let out aaaaagh!!!pest people have just left !anyway I've caught it and put it on the garden and scattered a bit of the ground cover he weed on over a bush in the garden so maybe tomorrow!
    I'm making a meal of this I know and you are all going to hate me because of the bees :'( :'( :'(

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=5354.msg71850#msg71850 date=1398769159]
    I'm making a meal of this I know and you are all going to hate me because of the bees :'( :'( :'(
    [/quote]

I don't think you are making a meal of this at all - we spend much more time training things that are not as useful and practical as weeing in the garden! My routine absolutely depends on Charlie weeing on command in the garden, and I've spent ages on making sure this always works. It seems perfectly sensible to train something that will make your life easier for upwards of the next decade.

As for the bees...well...I have to say I had rentokil out in a flash for a wasp nest last year...I'm not so sure I wouldn't have done the same for bees. Safely in a hive, making yummy honey is good, a whole horde of them infesting the BBQ area, not so good.

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Nope I don't think you're making a meal of it either.....when I see the effort that goes into training a competition dog to wee on command so they don't wee while competing the fact you're doing it to make sure Dex goes when he needs to and to save his paws I think makes absolute sense!

As for the bees......Julie's right. They can come and use my flowers but I'm not advertising for tenants ;)

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thinking outside the box ::) would it be possible to lay a long piece of matting/rug or astro turf from the door and along the ground to where you would like Dexter to pee so that he doesn't burn his paws? You could encourage him with your lovely chicken to the spot and then use your wee command, it might take a few goes but you never know ???.

I really feel for you Angela and you are absolutely right to be worried about burns, I take my hat off to you with this one it's not easy but you will, as always get there xxxx :D

8. Dexter

Oh Helen,bless you.....
    The picture in my mind now is HRF ( His Royal Furriness ...as christened by Julie!)being rolled out in his trolley across the road on his royal green carpet ::) ;D :eek: 8) :D
    Youve given me an idea though, the place he went today immediately after I'd had the pesticide sprayed is about 10 foot out side my garage,I could roll a mat out to get him to there....and I would you know,no matter how daft I look to the neighbours....! Xxx

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Looking daft comes with owning a dog ;D xx

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I can't get over the dog carts...seriously.... :p

11. Dexter

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

::) ::) ::)

Yep,really!3 times today...third collection witnessed by the security man.....you can imagine the look...no success in the garden yet....will try again tomorrow then come the weekend.....Plan B....all dogs are welcome to come and relieve themselves in my front garden! ;D never though I would be saying that in a million years!!!Chris is pleased he's not Plan B!!!!

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D !!

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

BWAHAHAHHAHAAAAA!!! Splitting my sides here.

Something about the combo of a foil tray of dog wee and the gorgeous nails. ;)

14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh my good gracious!! Are congratulations in order?!?! ;) ;) ;)

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Rofl ;D ;D

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Impressive and I am loving your Pink nail varnish against the rather stunning shade of Yellow wee wee ;D x

17. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i only just caught up with this post,...i am in stitches laughing,
    next time the babies come out with jasper, i will ask my niece to bring this along,...
    my sister margarets 2 grand children, with there mum, my niece :)
    this is not a doggy cart
    [​IMG]

18. Dexter

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

The first patron of the new dog toileting facilities in Victory Heights!
    Napoleon the Pomeranian...he might only be small but he's entire so his pee has got to pack an interesting punch to Dexter.....I hope!
    Lynne,lend me that cart.....I can make it into a doggy cart for sure!your niece looks like you x

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ha ha.
    a bit taken aback by the carton of wee at breakfast ( ;D ) but having a hoot at this thread.
    Go Dex!
    Hope Napoleon does the trick :D

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Again Angela you have made me laugh ;D I can imagine a line of dogs forming outside your house for a free pee in Angela's garden? ;D ;D Seriously I really hope it does the trick for Dexter which would be the best outcome x :)

Is Napoleon the little dog you went to collect from the airport with your friend? :) x