Toilet training - garden madness

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Scout88, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Scout88

Scout88 Registered Users

Hi
    We have in the last few days brought home our first pup :)

She's great although we're struggling that whenever we take her out for a wee/poo she thinks it's a big game.

We've got a few things were struggling with and would appreciate advice on

1. She wants everything in her mouth - grass, rocks, mud.
    She's been worked regularly bit she's so small that we're worried about her putting rocks etc in her mouth so we're rushing to take these out. But it's almost become a game. She is finding them just in the grass/ soil in places I wouldn't have even seen them as they're tiny but obviously dangerous.
    We want this to be boring for her so she doesn't keep enjoying it, and we know she's teething so will like chewing them bit equally we know we need to keep taking them off her.
    How can we stop this without it being a game?

2. She gets the zoomies everyone we go in the garden. I think she now associates the garden with play time rather than wee/poo time.
    We just stand there boring and wait for her to stop and praise like mad when she goes or comes to us for recall practice.

3. We have a big step which we want her to avoid so we've built a ramp for her she will now go up and down the ramp, but she also will.launch herself at the step when she has the zoomies. We don't want her to get hurt. Can we deter this?

4. We've tried training the lead to reduce this, We've sprayed bitter apple on it so she doesn't eat it but she just thrashes about when it's on im worried about her neck so I let my hand go soft but then she walks me rather than me her. How can I train the lead?

Lots of questions I know- we just want to do right by little Scout.
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi welcome to the wonderful, heart stopping, confusing world of lab puppies!

Firstly by putting things in their mouths is the way they explore and learn things. Stones are not the best, instead of rushing to get them out of her mouth which can make her think its a game or encourage her to swallow it as it becomes a valuable item that is being taken away. Try swapping the stone or whatever she has for a treat (or piece of kibble from her food allowance). You can start to train leave or give at the same time. That is what I did with Bailey anyway and it worked when he was tiny - even now if he has picked up something I don't want him to have I will either ignore it (providing it is safe to do so) until he gets bored with it, or I will swap it for a treat.

Zoomies I have always thought, especially with Bailey, is just a release of energy and excitement - the big bad outside world (even a back garden) is a massive excitement for a tiny puppy. I never stopped a zoomie session (and even now when we are on a walk and it is safe to do so, I will initiate a zoomie session with Bailey as I just love the mad expression on his face while it is happening).

Can you stand in front of the step if it is looking likely that your girl is going to hurt herself? Can't really think of anything else that will help, as when a full on zoomie session is in progress I have always found trying to direct the dog is pointless! Others may have some suggestions to this.

Have you thought about a harness for your pup? With their necks being so delicate and all the lunging that they do I got a harness for Bailey early doors and then had to desensitise him to it so that we could put it on him before going for a walk. Also putting a collar and lead on a dog is not natural for them, you have to train them gently to get them used to wearing a collar, harness and lead.

I would highly recommend the Happy Puppy Handbook if you do not already have it - or there are some excellent articles on the main site about surviving puppyhood, training and behaviours. Then there is this forum, that has saved my sanity many a time over the past 18 months :)

Good luck :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - they love the garden, it’s an adventure!

We have a spending pen for toiletting. Once they have done their wee/poo the reward is a play in the garden :)

6D3939FA-B618-41A4-AE13-1233126AF675.jpeg

Tammy Cooke likes this.
  4. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

Lol, it looks like the bird is in for some trouble.

Boogie likes this.
  5. Tammy Cooke

I’d advise that you let her have a restricted access in the garden, like what boogie has done. This is what we intend to do when we get our puppy Luna in 11 days time. We did it with our first lab, but didn’t need to do it with our second lab as she was two when we got her. Restricted area large enough to toilet in, then clean mess up and let her have a mad moment or few. You could put her on a training lead if you are unable to restrict access then at least you have control of her should she be up to no good. Another good point here is recall practice and getting her used to the lead. I think a desperate area for toileting and play is good then she can differentiate between the two areas. Leave her in the restricted area and say wee wees or whatever command she associates with. During this time leave her completely alone after giving the command, until she toilets. Then let her play within reason.
    Labradors will be labradors. They think they are indestructible until they are not!!
    Again I’d use a lead to control her behaviour until she stops launching herself off or over the ramp. Try to get in front of her to control her behaviour and perhaps someone else holding the lead inside with her at their sides. And getting her to stay there until you give her a command ‘come, or here’. Training again. Always make training fun and you can make most things in to a training exercise and I find they respond better to this kind of treatment than just normal play as they have to think
    I would to recommend a harness, the harness I like is the freedom no pull harness along with a training lead about 5-10m.

Good luck.

6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:cwl:
    don't we all need on of those? :)

Samantha Jones likes this.
  7. Tammy Cooke

Mmmm possibly predictive text......

selina27 likes this.
  8. Scout88

Scout88 Registered Users