Toilet training my puppy.

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Taylor, May 3, 2017.

1. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

We recently just got a labrador puppy, we picked her up on Sunday and she is eight weeks old. We're in the process of toilet training her, we've been listening to advice and making sure we take her out once she's woken up from a nap, after play time and after eating and drinking. As well as taking her out in between. However we have noticed that she doesn't really go to the toilet, for her age we expected her to be going out every half and hours to an hour for the toilet as they find it hard to hold their bladders. However she isn't going to the toilet sometimes six hours at a time, every time I take her out she won't go. I'd say she does about two wees and one poo a day, is this normal?

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

You've only had her two days, give her some more time to settle in. But keep an eye on this, make sure she is drinking and eating. Especially drinking. It's a big move, from the breeder to you, it can really stress some out. Keep giving her the opportunity to pee and poop. Maybe call the breeder and check in on this. They do usually go frequently at that tender age.

3. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

I did a bit of research and it looks like she maybe stressed and maybe that's why she isn't going to the toilet as much. I will keep an eye on her, thank you

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome. I'd say no, that certainly doesn't sound usual... Do you make sure she has water available all the time? And how often does she eat?

5. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

Yes, there's a bowl always readily available and I try really hard to get her to drink if but she just isn't interested. When she does want some she drinks a lot, we feed her at 7:00am, 11:00am, 3:00am and 7:00pm. These were the times the breeders fed her so we thought we would stick to that routine

6. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

*3:00pm*

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds good :) Probably in a day or two she'll be peeing so much you would wish she would hold it again!!!

8. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

I hope so, if she goes to the toilet more at least I'll know she's alright

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

If you're concerned with the amount she's drinking, you could always try adding water to her kibble (not soaking, just pour it on and serve), or put a couple of tuna flakes in her water bowl. If you see the slightest sign of lethargy, though, get her to the vet immediately.

10. Taylor

Taylor Registered Users

People have recommended that to me, I might have to try it