Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by Naya, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Tomorrow/Sunday am is the day I pick up Spero. I am picking him up from Cheltenham at 12.30am. I am really excited, but also worried incase Harley and Spero don't get on. My dog walker is also a dog behaviourist and has said she thinks Harley would have no problems in accepting a new dog into the house as she is so laid back, gets on with everyone, is quite passive and is good natured. Spero is used to living with other dogs so I hope they gel
    Unfortunately the pick up time is because they fly to France and land there at 4pm, then drive through the Eurotunnel then do several drop off points. This means I'm not going to be able to let them meet in the local park or outside of the house as it will be at least 1.45am before we get home. I know Harley will wake up when I come home so plan on letting them in the garden to meet each other, then will try and them settled, probably in separate rooms. Any other suggestions on what I can do?
    Hubby is off work Monday and Tuesday, I'm off Wednesday until the following Tuesday so we have a plan in place to get them used to being left alone - start with a few mins and slowly work up through the week.
    I have brought a long line (padded) for practising Spero's recall, am going to pets at home tomorrow to buy another food bowl, water bowl, new kongs and a new bed.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Tomorrow

Ah, so exciting (and of course a bit nerve wracking). I'm sure they'll be a few teething troubles, there are bound to be, but you'll keep your head and take it slow and work through it.

You are doing such a kind thing.

I wouldn't have thought Spero would be at his best - what a journey he'll have been on! And he'll be confused, and probably scared. I don't have any experience of these things but I'd say leave the introductions to a bit later. At 1.45am, you'll be tired, Spero will be tired and Harley will wonder what on earth is going on. And it'll be dark in the garden. So I'd say separate rooms, and introduce them later, in daylight, when everyone has had some sleep, maybe?

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

So exciting for you, but scary at the same time. I tend to agree with Julie and would postpone the meeting until morning when both you and Spero have had time to rest after the journey

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All the very best with the introductions.

I think that once you meet him you will be able to play it by ear, even 'tho it's at a strange time, you will soon discover how tired he is and how/when the meeting can be organised.

So long as you have daytime places where they can be apart yet both feel part of things - if needed - you will be fine (being over friendly and playing too much is just as much of a problem!)

Trust your instincts :)

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Would it be an idea to have someone look after Harley over night whilst Spero explores and sleeps in his new home then introduce them on neutral territory the next day then you can bring them home together afterwards and have kongs, treats at the ready? Just a thought :)

Wishing you all the luck in the world, I will be thinking about you all :D xxx

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I think we will have to play it by ear to a degree. Hubby and I have a rough plan in place....
    Hubby will keep Harley in our bedroom and I will sleep in the living room with Spero. Harley is used to our daughter and my hubby coming homemail at all hours of the night. So going to do what we do then....ignore her and go back to sleep. It usually works :|. As long as Spero is tired, we will keep intros until the morning and go out for a walk when we get up :)

7. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hope all goes well. If you can keep them apart and then introduce them on neutral ground the next day that would be best. Maybe aim to wear out Spero before he goes to bed, if you have the energy!

Hope all goes well. :)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=10716.msg159001#msg159001 date=1429895258]
    Any other suggestions on what I can do?
    [/quote]

The only other thing that occurred to me was, probably, you don't know how Spero is on the lead? I wondered about - given you can't risk a dog pulling as you have to be careful with your back/neck - you should have a spare front fastening harness?

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah the very best of luck Ternaya,I really hope this goes well.I haven't got any experience of fostering,all I would say is Spero,will be exhausted and this overtired and that might possibly make him hyper ....so whilst he could very well konk out in his nice new safe home,when he arrives ,he might also be very restless and even agitated.....so I would mentally prepare yourself for a sleepless night......added to the one you will have tonight due to excitement . Best wishes and good luck,you know we are all routing for you and I love knowing he's going to be safe with you and out of that cage xxxxx

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I can't add any advice, but I can offer you my heartfelt best wishes. I'm sure there will be a few hiccups to start with, but from what I know of you and Harley, he couldn't be going to a better place. I know you'll have very little sleep that first night especially, even if he should sleep like a baby, you'll be concerned for him so waking for every little noise. I imagine it could be like bringing a new puppy home; they're confused and unsure, but it's nevertheless exhausting travelling.

I look forward to hearing all the stories to come. You, and everyone else who was instrumental in bringing this dog to the UK, should be feeling very proud of themselves right now :)

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

When I got my rescued German Pointer, I took the other two with me and just put them all in the back of the car! I was young and foolhardy then! All was well as he was a very frightened dog and just sat there rigid. When we got home, I put him in the utility room and left the door open so that he could choose where he wanted to go. The first day or two he was too scared to move out, though he slept with the two dogs and cat at night. I really left it to him to make himself at home; he had never been in a home before, had lived in kennels, he was thirteen months old, but died at just 8 years old from epilepsy, he was a gentleman of a dog and I adored him.

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Naya, you know how excited I am about this!

As others have said, just be prepared for the unexpected.. This will have been a heck of a journey for Spero, he will have no idea idea of what is happening to him and will be excited and nervous. If things go a bit pear shaped to begin with, don't panic! But I think Spero and Harley will be fine, and it sounds like you've thought it all through.

The very best of luck to you. Ooh, it feels like a forum baby is about to arrive! :) ;D

13. snowbunny

[quote author=Karen link=topic=10716.msg159035#msg159035 date=1429903898]
    Ooh, it feels like a forum baby is about to arrive! :) ;D
    [/quote]

It so does! I'm trying not to put too much pressure out there, but I'm also SO excited about this forum (and you and Naya especially) giving this man a new start at life. There are good people in the world. Whatever happens, this will always have been one of those beautiful moments.

Sorry, too much pressure. *shuts up*.

14. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ruth,Holly and I have no advice, but just hope that everything goes well.

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Really really wishing you luck.
    Try and get some rest tonight!
    xx

16. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Wishing lots of luck and looking forward to hearing all about it! x

17. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope it goes really well :)

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Thank you all
    I have 2 cozy dogs harnesses so hoping one will fit him - worse case I can use the headcollar.
    I don't think I will sleep much tonight, or tomorrow, or the next few weeks .
    It really is exciting and we might not be the best at training some things, but we have lots of love, patience and time to give
    No pressure at all Fiona
    Karen, i believe you bringing Spero's story to the forum was in a way perfect timining for us and I can't thank you enough (might be saying different in a few days though ;) )
    I am going to treat him like a new pup as it will all be new to him and probably a bit scary too. I know there will be struggles, but am determined to put everything into giving him happiness

19. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good luck Naya, hope everything goes well :)

20. snowbunny

Just remember to save that first Spero poo to put in a box for MIL ;)