Too early?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by clean_toothbrush, Jul 12, 2013.

1. clean_toothbrush

clean_toothbrush Registered Users

Hello Everyone,

We have the option of picking our puppy up at 7 weeks old. I have read a fair amount about the 8 week minimum and understand the issues involved. I guess what I am looking for is feedback from people who have picked their puppies up at 7 weeks and any specific issues you have encountered as a result. I have heard from people I know who swear by the 8 week rule and others who have brought their puppies home earlier and have had no issues. But a little more feedback would not hurt. Thank you in advance.

2. jennyann

jennyann Registered Users

Re: Too early?

We picked Rosie up at 7 weeks. Didn't seem an issue at all. She settled in immediately - no difficulties whining or problems settling overnight. They're a week further from being house trained than at 8 weeks but otherwise I'd say go for it! X

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi , there are those, like Jennyann who have no problems at all with their pups at 7 weeks . Many years ago, it was deemed the norm to sell pups at 6 weeks of age but studies have shown that the better age to take a pup home is 8 or 9 weeks of age . Obviously, there are exceptions , arent there always , but if you can wait another week , I would say to do so :)

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,sorry I can't help with your question,just wanted to say Hi and welcome.

We have Dexter a 10 month old yellow lab and we got him when he was 5 months old so I missed the early cute,puppy stage....I'm very envious ;D...however it had its advantages......I only had 2 accidents in the house ;) of the wee wee kind! X.....and Dex was still very cute when we got him ;D

5. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Is there a reason that it's your choice, rather than the breeders when to take pup home? Most breeders I think look at 8 weeks minimum.

We rescued a puppy, many decades ago now, that the vet estimated to be aprox 5/6 weeks old. He was a sweetie pie, but his whole life, we could never disturb his sleep. I mean I'd always let a dog sleep, but if another dog brushed past him, his reaction was demonic. Apart from that a lovely, lovely dog. And we were discussing him only recently, after I read an article on the main site:
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?p=2009
    It has a name, touch tolerance.

Any problems that can be avoided by leaving him to learn more from his mum/litter mates, then I'd leave the pup to mature just that little bit more, to be able to cope better in his new home. He's with you hopefully 15 years or so, so for the sake of waiting a week, I'd wait. We've had a young pup, as I say, the problems weren't insurmountable but they were there.

6. jennyann

jennyann Registered Users

What did you decide to do in the end?

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We picked Hattie up at 12 weeks as the breeder would not let the pups go before that. Hattie has been the most easy going, easy to train and wonderfully natured dog ever, and as she was our first ever dog that was indeed a blessing. She is now nearly 6 years old and we couldn't have wished for a better girl. I would wait too. Helen x

8. clean_toothbrush

clean_toothbrush Registered Users

So it turns out, after talking to the breeder, that yesterday (Thursday) was 7 weeks from the birth date and we don't pick her up until Monday so I feel a bit better about it. Be ready folks! Plenty of questions will be coming your way shortly. I really appreciate the forum and all the feedback. Sleep? Who needs sleep?

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hi CT - don't forget our camera, we like pics of their first day, nothing better.

Enjoy the experience - good luck!