Too late to crate train?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Emily, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Emily

Emily Registered Users

We never crate trained Ella and this never seemed an issue, until recently. I've found myself in a few situations where we either can't attend something or I have to organise for someone to look after Ella. For example, a couple of weeks ago I stayed behind to help out at our dog club. Everyone else popped their dog in a crate but I had to get my husband to come and get Ella. Also, our dog club is offering a scent training workshop one night next month (pretty cool hey!) but we can't go because they said that dogs need to be crated during the instruction part so that handlers can listen/take notes. They said it would be fine for someone to look after Ella for me instead but unfortunately I don't have anyone that can help.

Do you think it would be ok to start crate training Ella now (she's 16 months)? If so, is there anything I should do differently to if she was a little puppy?

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I don't think it is too late. Both of our dogs were crated at night when they were pups, but haven't been for a long time. When we take them to our boarding kennel they routinely put them in crates for a short period while they sort out the kennel/run for them. Neither seem to mind.

3. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

I think it can be done. Edsel hadn't been in his crate in over a year but has to stay in it at search and rescue when he's not actively working. I think that you could likely follow the general guidelines for training and just see how it goes. I've thought of setting our's up again some times because he actually likes to go there when he's looking for some peace from visitors.

Emily likes this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No, not too late at all. I didn't crate train Charlie until he was 10 months. You just do it the same as for a puppy, only I found it was very quick because Charlie didn't get worried or scared. It is worth doing properly though, because Charlie's crate training is good, I can leave him in a fabric crate in hotel rooms etc and that's very handy.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It only took a few days of concentrating on it for Charlie to be really good in a crate. If you get a crate sharpish, and get on with it, you might make the scent training workshop. :) I find covering the crate and supplying a kong helps Charlie settle when other dogs are working.

Emily likes this.
  6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yep, definitely recommend a crate cover so that the dog inside can't see other dogs. That helps a lot when in 'group' situations.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Great to train this for holidays too.
    If Ella likes a Kong it should be easy.
    Go for it!

8. Cath

Cath Registered Users

I put Annie's metal crate away and then brought a soft body crate for holidays. I was not sure she would like/go in it as it is very different to the other one. She loves it and we leave it up in the room where the dogs sleep at night. She just go in it on her own no trouble. Ella is such a good girl I am sure she will be fine with her toys and a nice kong :D

9. MF

MF Registered Users

I never crate trained Snowie and we don't have a crate at home. But when he went to the groomers, they popped him in a crate. No issues at all with the crate; he simply accepted that was his plight! Although as I write this, after about 3 or 4 times going to the groomers, the last time I took him there (he was only about 1.5/2 years old) he resisted being taken away by the salon owner. He clearly didn't like being there and I wondered if it was perhaps something they did to him or perhaps the shower (he hates the shower or hosepipe at home), but I didn't consider it might've been related to the crate (regrettably I was always on my way to work and never stayed to see how they handled him, although they came with very good references and I knew lots of dogs who went there with no ill effects). Another time at dog school he had to go into a crate, no issues, just lay down and waited till I came to take him out (I was a wreck worrying about him!).