Torn Nail :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Beckyt6, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

Alfie tore one of his toe nails today, not clean off but enough to make it bleed and for him to hold it up:(.

We ve been to the vets who've given us some spray and told us to come back in two days to check it for infection. Does anyone have any other things I can do to try and stop infection taking hold?

Thank you

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I've used the Pawz rubber boots (available via Amazon) to great effect to keep injured feet / torn nails clean and dry.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, poor Alfie!

Willow ripped one of her nails off some time back. I tried to use a sock wen we went out, but it was winter and it just got saturated with melted snow, so it was pointless. So I restricted her by keeping her on lead a lot - otherwise she'd catch it again and make it bleed, which made it look like a bloodbath in the snow. And, when we got home from walks, I bathed it in a dilute betadine solution. If it happened again, I'd use the Pawz rubber boots out on walks.

4. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

Thanks both!

I ve ordered the pawz rubber boots from Amazon and will bathe his foot every time we go out.

Fingers crossed we can avoid infection!

MF and SwampDonkey like this.
  5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Ouch. Hope his paw heals soon. I've used paw boots too as Harley goes through stages of cutting her paws! They are really good.

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer caught his claw in metal grid steps and bruised the nail bed quite badly. He really was in a lot of pain, even more so the day after he hurt it. While it hurt H didn't want to go on any walks ☹️ We washed it regularly and gently with hibiscrub diluted with tepid water.

7. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

He doesnt seem in too much pain at the moment - Hes currently watching supervet cuddled on blankets of the sofa.

We ll see how he is tomorrow. We re booked to go back to the vets on Saturday to see if any infection is developing.

Thank you for the replies.

Jes72 likes this.