Total Recall: Proofing with people

Discussion in 'Books' started by Sophie Bellin, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Sophie Bellin

Sophie Bellin Registered Users

Hi everyone!

I have a 9 month-old Flat-Coated Retriever called Mia and we've been working our way through the Total Recall training program.

Mia is really quick to learn and everything was going extremely well until we got to the "Proofing with people" section. Our issue is that we can't find a suitable 2nd person to train with, let alone a 3rd. We live in Porto and the people that I've asked either don't take it seriously or we don't see them regularly enough for us to be able to get through the program in time (before they leave).

Our training has been completely stagnant for the past 6 weeks because of this and her "other recall" (her old recall which I still use outside so as not to damage the new one) is now suffering because of it too.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it okay to skip this section and move on until I can find a suitable person?

Thanks for any tips!

2. Katrin

Katrin Registered Users

Hi Sophie,

yes it is possible. We skipped that section because like that I couldn't find people to do it with us at a time that suited.

i put my lab back on the long training lead, kept plenty of distance from people andcjustckept practising. It worked. Probably helped too that we were able to practise where dog friendly people were predictably.

Sams recall is good however I still do the "if I can't trust him he is in the lead".

best of luck. K

3. Sophie Bellin

Sophie Bellin Registered Users

Thanks Katrin, really appreciate hearing your experience!