Total recall training with Pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by wallem20, Jul 9, 2020.

1. wallem20

wallem20 Registered Users

Hello
    I have just started working through the 'total recall' exercises with our 8 month old pup. We are on the first step which is using the whistle and rewarding with food. The problem is that she is getting over excited while accepting the treat and peeing with excitement. This has happened the last 3 times we have carried out the exercise. I really don't want to be conditioning her to urinate to the whistle. Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom it would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Aimee C

Aimee C Registered Users

I'm new to the forum,but have been following Pippa ever since we brought home our 6 month old lab back in May. This is our first lab, and reading her articles has saved us from thinking we have a "bad" puppy! We've had many pups before, but never this breed and holy cow!! Anyways, I've never had a pup just straight ignore me before, so I started the total recall training. I just started step 1 this week. From what I remember reading, you don't want to start step one with your cue, in your case the whistle. Maybe go back to the beginning. I start with my pup in a sit position and I turn around and walk away from him. Once he begins following me, I turn around and give him his reward (cheese) with a good boy. It sounds like she's maybe getting over excited. Try a nice quiet room where its just you two, and start from scratch. Good luck!