Totall Recall Progress

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, Aug 20, 2013.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Totall Recall Progress

Wow! Really impressed!
    Way to go Dexter 8)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Thankyou everyone x ;D

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

It is all down to your effort Angela, it is easy to tell people what they should do, much much harder to actually get out there and do it!

Well done :D

4. Dexter

Ah thankyou Pippa,I've really enjoyed working through it with him.....I love him to bits ,there's still work to do :D
    Thankyou everyone else too for all your cheer leading! X

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Fantastic Angela, wow what progress you have made in such a short space of time, good boy Dexter ignoring all your friends as they disappear into the distance :) Now I'm jealous, I want to blow my whistle and see Charlie leg it back to me off his long line, as I am sure he would. Again well deserved praise indeed. Helen xx

6. Dexter

He would Helen,but remember what you said to me a couple of weeks ago.....don't do it until YOU feel you are ready.you have worked soooooo hard,dont do anything that might knock you back now!i am delighted but I won't feel secure with it until we have practiced a lot more...he just seems to have it though!chris is home now so we will get out together at the weekend...he's only been allowed to blow in the garden and the park while we have been doing the exercises.......I need to really drive home the importance of NOT blowing again if he doesn't recall and also I am really choosing my recalls carefully.....the one in the desert with the other dogs was a heart in the mouth moment ;D I don't want chris setting him up to fail....we have missed the exercises at home with other dogs so we are really going careful ,trying to recreate those conditions in the park.....also,you are going to laugh your head off when I say this....Chris doesn't blow properly!!!!!my poor,poor husband he can't do anything right in my eyes can he ( he can really ,I'm not a total cow :D !)but he blows faster and shorter than me.......I don't think it matters,Dex still comes but why he can't follow my demo correctly I will never know,god he's heard it as many times as Detxer has......I'm surprised he isn't conditioned to come running when I give it the pips! :D ;D ;D

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I won't do it Angela, we had to miss calling away from other dogs too and will just have to do this in a live situation. I feel for Chris as I don't blow my whistle properly either, both David and my whistle sounds are different but Charlie responds to both - luckily :eek: I feel for Charlie too on the end of this damn training line for the best part of his life. Nearly there Chalie, nearly there :( Helen x

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So just to add my modest success this morning to the total recall thread:

We did a recall "for real". My friend had run off for a jog down the long wide low water beach (about half a mile long I'd say) and I was throwing a ball for Charlie. The usually pack of about six dog walkers were saying good morning about 300m away in the direction my friend was running. I turn to speak to the owners of Meg and Bella (black labs from Sheffield), and when I turned back, Charlie was pelting down the beach after my friend running away and nearly at the pack of dogs - way too far away for me to be comfortable with and way further than Charlie had recalled before unless carefully arranged, with him running between 2 people.

He came back on his recall whistle - just skidded to a halt and came tearing back just as fast! Yay! Meg and Bella 's owners were very complementary about it, told me it was really great.

That's set me up to have a good day!

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well done Charlie!

10. Dexter

It's just the best thing in the world isn't it Julie?that was a toughie for Charlie too,well done.I had my first failure this morning :( ...he spun round and started back but naughty fella decided there was something MORE interesting than ME to sniff.....so I had to do the running in the other direction, he redeemed himself and charged after me...it was good really to remind me that we need lots more practice......we are not there yet ;D

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Very impressive Julie, well done to you both. Helen x :)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I was super pleased, it was the distance that I was really thrilled about (although someone he knows well running away was new too). The familiar group of dogs not so new, as we train on them most days - the good morning owners chat handily gives us a group of stationary dogs.

I agree with you, it's wonderful to have success at recall - so important.

I don't think you had a failure, just having to run backwards to correct a minor wander. It is good how that works though!

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Angela, excellent job that you didn't blow your whistle again and took another course of action. Brilliant you are doing so well. Good boy Dexter :) Helen x

14. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Angela and Dexter

After reading your Total Recall progress I have just been on Amazon to order Pippa's book. Scott and Scout have some whistle recall but it's not total by any means and I would love to have dogs that I can be confident will come back. If that happens it will be bordering on a miracle!

I am really impressed with Dexters progress keep it up and as I try and tell myself it doesn't matter how long it takes there 's no rush.

Jen

15. Dexter

Jen I'm really pleased you have done that.....its so well set out,methodical,common sense and achievable with check points all the way through,ive so,enjoyed working through it.I know you will too.good luck and post up now your progress when you start :)
    Thanks Helen,the funny thing was it was quite an easy recall....he was just going out of sight round the corner of the path in the park and he just decided that this was the one he wanted to test ME on ;).....
    I'm going back onto your other thread because Ive read you've had a few tests yourself today :( with our Charlie Boy...but first Im going to visit Jasper and his elegant rosette ;D! Xxx

16. Dexter

Thanks Julie too ;)

17. Dexter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/sets/72157635354028545/

Here he was flying back to me yesterday morning .....haven't been out there alone with him for a while,called him away from all the wild hare trails...we see the track but they must be so timid.....we have never seen one!He took chris by surprise last night and leaped after the park rabbit.....C said he was walking nicely the lead was slack and then he just lunged .....so we practiced calling away from its scent this morning ......got my hot roast chicken readybto 'go live' tonight! ;D

18. Dexter

'Going live ' didn't happen ......it was more 'Going home to make a cup of tea!' Too many other distractions in the park last night and the rabbit is too tame and wouldn't cooperate and hide....would have been a complete FAIL if we had proceeded..... ???

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

You are doing so well, best to leave it on a positive note!!!

I'm starting Total Recall THIS WEEK....honest!!! ;) ;D

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think there is nothing more motivating (for us novices anyway) to keep going trying to succeed with the training to have your dog rush back to you when you call! And look at Dex's big lab grin when he does it, just lovely. Good boy Dexter!