Toy wrecking

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Trerod, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Trerod

Trerod Registered Users

Has a member got any idea how i stop my 14 month old Lab from chewing his toys to destruction, it is mainly soft toys but also will chew Tennis balls etc, he does not chew furniture though.
    I just recently purchased a Halti to help with his pulling when on a lead walk, it is very effective, has stopped the pulling instantly, he also now beginning to get used to wearing it, would strongly recommend
    it to any one that has that problem.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam used to be a terror for destroying soft toys , in fact most of them had to have surgery ! He grew out of it at around two years old . I don't give him tennis balls in the house, I buy really good hard ones which are solely for retrieving when out and about . Have you tried Kong toys , they are supposed to be good and virtually indestructible ?

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Outward hound stuff is really good, but nothing is indestructible really.

4. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

My Mocha just had a camera stuck up her bum when she threw up a stuffed animal's head. She destroys too, but I find she doesn't when I make her good and tiered and give her mental stimulation. Bored dog= destroyed house and toys.

Johnny Walker likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

Rory just liked to destroy stuff when he was little. He would look for a weak point and destroy

6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Stuffed toys exist to be de-stuffed, squeaky balls exist to be de-squeaked - Xena the Destroyer of Things.

Kong toys are pretty hardy. Xena's Wubba Friend is still squeaking up a storm and she got it for Christmas. Her previous Wubba Classic squeaked for 6 weeks.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Molly's done a pretty good 'wipe out' on our garden lawn and borders :eek: What next? !!

8. SwampDonkey

The world ! no garden borders are safe:D

FayRose and Dawn_Treader like this.
  9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco doesn't have any stuffed toys - they's be dead in minutes. He has rubber toys - always supervised. Black Kongs are the best, but he does love squeaky toys too. We have a Kong Squeezz Ball - he loves it - this has lasted remarkably well, he's had it for over a month I think. On Saturday he got a 3 Peaks Giggle ball - he loves this too, but I fear it will soon have proper holes in, it is not the same quality as a Kong toy, but it is funny. His other type of toy is a rope tuggy. He is NEVER unsupervised with toys.

10. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Cooper totally destroys anything stuffed.....except stuffed Kongs!!!:monkey:
    He is a Jack the Ripper on anything fabric. Even rope toys he chews until he rips them apart.
    So he only gets Kongs and Nylabones. And he is three years old.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  11. CamK

CamK Registered Users

Rex is a destroyer too. Oh the $ we have spent trying to find toys for him. He has never went after shoes or furniture so we are blessed in that respect. And the garden... He has left that alone. Take that back, he gently nibbles raspberries and cherry tomatoes but leaves the perennials alone.

At 2 he has grown out of the destroying only slightly. We enjoy the Kongs and the nylabones and the antlers. Once in a while we get a 12 inch beef femur from the butcher.

Absolutely no stuffed animals or squeakers unless you watch them very closely and take away at the first sign of destruction. Easier just not to have anything that might cause distress or surgery.

His favorite toy is a horse ball. It is a ball with a handle made of a hard yet flexible rubber. They can't pop it. It is about the size of a basketball. He runs around and shakes it, tosses it in the air, plays fetch. It's great fun for a group. He could tear off bits of the handle if not watched when playing but he chooses not to. We find this at the horse supply store.

Another ball thing... It's about the size of a basketball, made of hard plastic. It has 4 holes in it. Inside is a smaller hard ball. The holes are just big enough for him to put his snout in to carry it around. He has never chewed this! Anyone know what this is called? Found at the vet.

Good luck!

12. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

I think Harley has watched too many Criminal Minds episodes with me...she recently bit the eyes of her piglet toy and last night she tore the fluffy ears off her owl toy...and duck lost a foot.

SwampDonkey and samandmole like this.
  13. M&M16

M&M16 Registered Users

My two are total destroyers, but they don't just destroy but they eat all :eek: They don't have toys - I know mean 'Mum'! they don't have soft beds nor vetbed :((well Monty can be trusted with a bit of vetbed in his car crate). We have dummies and mind games for training so obviously only when using with me, so no recommendations from me I'm afraid other than if you are going to have toys then they are not 'free' access but something you 'loan' and play with together, with limits.

14. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Tilly and Cooper, "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

They can take a fire hose toy apart in a few minutes. Tuffy Toys hold up better than most other stuffed toys.

At least they pretty much confine their destruction to dog toys, and leave the furniture, tchotchkes, and clothes pretty much alone.

15. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

never seen a Kong destroyed yet.

16. SwampDonkey

Have you not? :) Rory destroys all khongs except black, and they only last a few months. We have used black since he was tiny. His jaw is mental. A khong wobbler lasted 1 try. He lacks the patience to wobbly and just bit the top off. Just think fire service jaws of life and you're close:D