Trained thief

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Trained thief

Reminds me of the time I bought a set of baby lederhosen in Bavaria and tried to explain that the size was not important as I just wanted to hang them on the wall.... But I digress.

Julie, asking Charlie to just keep holding the waste paper basket for a minute so you can take a photo will most certainly teach him that the behaviour is no longer wanted ;D I'm glad you did it though because it's damned funny ;D Can't believe he fetched the oven knob.... Funny boy. He's learned that Retrieving Is A Good Thing for sure ;D

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Lol, the picture with him holding the basket is brilliant. Charlie looks all sweet and innocent - 'what me - I'm helping' ;D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3194.msg34287#msg34287 date=1383844970]
    Reminds me of the time I bought a set of baby lederhosen in Bavaria and tried to explain that the size was not important as I just wanted to hang them on the wall....
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Julie, all I can say is, I feel your pain...... ::)

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3194.msg34287#msg34287 date=1383844970]
    Reminds me of the time I bought a set of baby lederhosen in Bavaria and tried to explain that the size was not important as I just wanted to hang them on the wall
    [/quote]

Mmmmm slightly random!!!! ;D

6. Susan Jay

Susan Jay Registered Users

I think my lab would match yours - even been known for pinching socks, unbeknown to me, who searches high and low for the, to only find one three days later having been sicked up after having gone through a washing machine cycle in her belly! Nice! She is not selective about what she pinches and, like you, the biscuit is the trade - and the quality of the biscuit has had to become better as time gas gone on or no trade! I've tried the 'good girl' approach too but to little effect depending on how she sees the importance of what she has in her mouth. If you find a solution - let me know! Who says pooches aren't clever?

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=3194.msg34203#msg34203 date=1383820628]
    He is now a retrieverholic by the sounds of it. :D I would stop rewarding him for picking up random items and bringing them to you. You can move to the next step now where he retrieves on command and only items you want him to retrieve. ;) :)
    [/quote]

I've been trying - but not getting very far! Tonight in the split second the cupboard was open for me to put something away, he grabbed a tin of tomatoes (at least in the middle), legged it, knocked the mop bucket over in his haste, and delivered the tin to OH in his study (at least he didn't spit it out ::)). Hmmm....I bet OH gave him kibble...right, can see the problem now, I think.

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Bless Choc Charlie, I long for my Charlie to be a retrievaholic and working like crazy to achieve it ;)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Dunno, Helen, a degree of control with it would be nice. I'll keep at it.

I was thinking about something you said - you said your Charlie went mad for the rabbit skin dummy but you couldn't get it back off him so you put it away? But not bringing something back is a problem lots of people have and get over. Maybe all you need do is work on the bring back with the rabbit skin dummy? O, probably a hopeless thought ::) - but I had it, so mention it just in case...

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

"at least he picked it up in the middle" ;D Hilarious.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3194.msg36419#msg36419 date=1384886716]
    Dunno, Helen, a degree of control with it would be nice. I'll keep at it.

I was thinking about something you said - you said your Charlie went mad for the rabbit skin dummy but you couldn't get it back off him so you put it away? But not bringing something back is a problem lots of people have and get over. Maybe all you need do is work on the bring back with the rabbit skin dummy? O, probably a hopeless thought ::) - but I had it, so mention it just in case...
    [/quote]

Thanks Julie, but to be honest Charlie is doing so well with retrieving tennis balls, snake and yellow funny thing I am not worried about the rabbit skin dummy or any dummy at
    the moment as I really don't want to damage this work, but maybe later on I will be brave enough to re-introduce it, he really went to town on it, but Pippa said that it's quite normal :eek: Hey I am just grateful to be getting retrieving at all ::) Did I say it's only taken 2 years, yes 2 years ::) ;D