Training Dog To Come

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Giancarlo t, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Giancarlo t

Giancarlo t Registered Users

Hello everyone from me and my puppy Sami.

I apologise for my English as I sm italian.

I have a question to see if i am doing it right.
    Sami is a 10 weeks old black laby no fully vaccinated so I am training him at home.

He seems to be quite responsive, he already sit stay and eat under command( most of the time) we are keep working on it.

I am start training him to come. I am at the first step Pippa training. The problem is that I believe he knows I have food with me( it is in my pocket of corse but my hands are empty) so when I try to move a bit farther from him in order to start the training,he follow me immediately. So kind of I still keep moving away as training required.. I speed up then turn around and praise him with food.

Is it still ok or I need to wait for him to be still and far from me to start the training??

Thank you very much.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

i am not an expert on Pippa's method but based on my memory of it I will give my take on your training question. At the age of your dog, there is a natural disposition to keep seeking you out, as you are experiencing. Use that behaviour. Reinforce the dog coming towards you. So, no you don't need the dog to be perfectly still to start recall training.

sarah@forumHQ likes this.
  3. Giancarlo t

Giancarlo t Registered Users

Thank you very much for your reply. Today I started the training asking him to sit.. and yes I am reinforcing that behaviour too.

Thanks again

4. DAG

DAG Registered Users

He Giancarlo! My italian is quite better than my english what is Pippas method? Buona sera Giancarlo, il mio italiano è megliore del mio inglese. Prego, che cosa è Pippas methodo? Richiamo il mio Dag con una pallina da tennis, lo chiamo e lancio la pallina tra le mie gambe indietro. Poi, se il cucciolo ama di rincorrere, faccio lo stesso ma con distrazione.Bisogna che tu sia più importante per lui che le altre persone, altri cani. Tu hai il dominio del dummy e della pallina. Molto più interessante del cibo.