Training Lab not to jump when out walking

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Fisheyes, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Fisheyes

Fisheyes Registered Users

Hi all,

I know this subject has been discussed many many times, however it feels like our situation is slightly different.

Background
    10 month Lab, his manner in the house are perfect. In the main we can loose leash walk and even to heel for periods of time. Unfortunately when meeting other dogs on his walk, during play he becomes over excited and then jumps up at the owner(he never jumps at anyone in the family or random people out on their walks). I can manage him off leash well enough to ignore other dogs which avoids him rehearsing this behaviour but other people's dogs often come charging over at which point he then goes into play mode which ultimately leads to the annoying jumping up. In addition we do very occasionally get a lunge if walking on leash and we get very close to another dog (clearly the excitement of meeting other dogs).

I really want to avoid this becoming a habit (started at about month 8), the only thing I can think of is keeping him on a long line and not allowing any interactions with other dogs that lead to play but that seems very harsh (esp as he loves other dogs and to play). Anytime we do meet others I will always mark and treat when he does not jump, in addition he gets told No as soon as he jumps and I have even got into the habit of then removing him from play but he still does not seem to be able to control himself to greet in a polite manner when excited.

I have read the articles on this site but they focus more on dogs that just jump up all the time and the techniques don't seem to apply when out on a walk and your meeting random people?

If anyone has any good training advise on this that would be massively appreciated, perhaps moving back to just lead walking and free running in quiet, easier to manage places is a good idea? However this would seem to be treating the symptom and not the cause.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I have the same issue with my 10 month old and she’s now on a long line at all times she would typically be off leash. I’ve noticed an improvement - she can play and run briefly with another dog but I have control so she cannot reach the owner. Also working on recall a ton so that I can call her away from play to take breaks so she can calm down before she gets to the point she might jump at someone. I do walk quiet places as much as possible and don’t really let her play with dogs we don’t know. For on leash, we practice polite greetings; I ask the person not to engage until she’s sitting and I release her to say a brief hi and get a pet. I rarely allow any dog to dog greetings on leash, we move off to the side or practice heeling to move by other dogs as much as possible. Her jumping has reduced significant in the past month or so, so hopefully staying consistent will pan out long term! My older lab never jumped from day 1!