Training Material/Books

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pmsmith2032, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Pmsmith2032

Pmsmith2032 Registered Users

Looking for some suggestions for training material/books for a new lab puppy we will be picking up at the end of April. This will be my 3rd lab so I am quite familiar with the breed. However, I really want to thoroughly train this pup (my first lab was when I was a kid and my second was when our kids were younger (time to train was hard to come by)). There are a couple of factors that could have affect on the training:

1. Our kids are older now. Son is 12 and daughter is 19 (she will be going back to college in August hopefully). They are VERY excited about the new dog and want to be part of the training (especially my son).
    2. Our current lab is still living and will be 14 this fall. She is still in pretty good health except for bad back hips/arthritis.
    3. The pup will be primarily a family dog but I will occasionally take her hunting (a few pheasant hunts and possibly a duck/goose hunt some day). The breeder lists her as a pointing lab.
    4. Past labs have always been stay-at-home dogs. I would like to take the new pup to more places (like baseball games for my son, over to family member houses, hikes, etc).

My wife is a teacher so will most likely be home with the pup for the first 4 months. I am currently working from home and will probably be doing so for the first couple of weeks (maybe more) the pup is brought home.

Thanks for suggestions!

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Well we're biased, but we love Pippa's online puppy homeschooling courses ;)

Everyone in the family can watch the videos and train your pup in the same consistent way, and it all takes place in fun, bite size chunks. When your puppy is old enough (about 12 weeks) the Foundation Skills course will prime them for just about anything in future!

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  3. SianMJ

SianMJ Registered Users

I’ve done Pippa’s foundation online course and totally recommend it! My young lab and I enjoyed it and learned soooo much!

SullyBear and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  4. TEE

TEE Registered Users

Pippa has a site full of valuable advise which I have read extensively. Also check out Stonnie Dennis he has a few good YouTube videos in Lab puppy training which I followed with great success.

Good luck and enjoy the ride

5. Pmsmith2032

Pmsmith2032 Registered Users

Thanks all! I have started reading through Pippa's site.