Training never ends

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by snowbunny, Nov 10, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

This morning I had my first proper walk since being back with the hounds in Andorra. We're here for one night only, as this afternoon, we're headed off to the UK for ten days.
    My two don't often go on lead, but I've really focussed on it over the summer, walking to heel and not sniffing. This is important for me in the winter because, with snow and ice underfoot, it can be very dangerous to have a Labrador pulling towards a smell. Unfortunately, the snow also tends to bring out their bouncy sides!
    I didn't need to have them on lead this morning, but I figured that meant it was the perfect opportunity to do so. They certainly had their bonkers hats on, delighted to be back in the snow. Willow (who was by far the worse of the two when young) was a complete delight and, once that lead was on, walked beautifully on my right side. Shadow needed a couple of reminders of what I was after, and he was itching to bounce around lie a loon, but he also did really well after he remembered himself. So, very happy about that and it just goes to show, you get what you train for.

Once off lead, they were full of the joys of spring winter, so I made sure I treated them royally for all their check-ins, and they were little stars. They recalled with vim and vigour and we had a marvellous time.

Training and reinforcing training really never does stop, but it's so worth it :)

Samantha Jones, Karen, Naya and 6 others like this.
  2. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

That's fabulous, they sound such wonderful dogs. Without a doubt you do get what you train, at times it can be tedious (especially the one step forward two steps back) but always worth it in the end. :)

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Just had a nice walk with M&R. I'm taking moo for a longer walk with him at the moment when it's not too cold for her.the problem I've got is her inability to hear ot see me properly glad I trained her to walk happily when she was young, but we are between us having to sort a way to have a nice time. Also it's hard with the young dog because she's not really aware of were he is sometimes but it's getting better. we are walking as a team now and all starting to move together.she's learned to trust me and I've learnt to help her navigate. You definately get what you train for these dogs amaze me at 13 she's still so clever and keen to go out and have a nice walk.I'm finding it such fun to find ways for her to feel happy

Karen, Stacia and snowbunny like this.