training to bring dummy back

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by selina27, Mar 5, 2017.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi, I have been working with Cassie on clicker retrieve for about three weeks, and tonight got up to her holding the dummy for 9 seconds. She seems to be losing interest though despite using warm chicken tonight, she gets a bit frustrated although she does pick it up and hold it eventually. Perhaps I should go back to shorter duration? Also yesterday tried to do it in the garden and she really didn't get that. Should I go back to rewards for touching etc in a change of place. Feeling a little dispirited as I so want her to learn and enjoy retrieving.

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I think we all probably train the clicker retrieve slightly differently, depending on the dogs natural style. Does Cassie naturally carry things around in her mouth? Benson doesn't, Bramble does, so with Bramble I spent less time on a hold, as this is a natural behavior. With Benson, it is not. So I did really, really short sessions back chaining, so starting with the hold, but I have to admit, used a sausage shaped soft toy,it was ages until I moved onto dummies in a serious way, and never more than 5 seconds in a stationary position. Whenever he seems to lose interest, I would move on to another element or just play tuggy for a bit. I also gave him a toy, ran away a few feet, when he ran towards me with the toy I would praise him, hold out my hand and when my hand touched the toy clicked and gave him a treat, making more of "chase me" game :)

selina27 likes this.
  3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would go back to holding the dummy for a shorter duration, cannot see the point of making the dog hold it for a longer period. Should be fun, fetch the retrieve, put in my hand, reward - bingo :D

FoxyLady, Johnny Walker and selina27 like this.
  4. selina27

She does really but tends to go through phases, but I think she's doing so more often. I started this as a way to get her to bring me the dummy instead of running off as we hadn't made any advance, @snowbunny posted the link. We made good progress to start with, I've noticed now though she drops what she's holding spontaneously when she brings it to me, whereas she didn't before! Thank you for your reply.

5. selina27

Yes, I think this is good point, thank you. The problem was not wanting to bring me the retrieve, not picking it up in the first place. It's probably best to shorten the hold and ask her to come to me with it. Cos it's like well I've picked it up, I'm holding it , what more do you want?

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think the clicker retrieve is a really good thing but it's important it's still fun! Try to keep sessions short and upbeat. If you're in a new place go back to the beginning, they should pick it up faster than the first time when they twig the game is the same just on a different spot.

Johnny Walker and selina27 like this.
  7. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It does sound as if she could be finding the training boring/not fun if you've been working on it for 3 weeks. I would have a few days with no retrieve training but lots of other fun stuff and then introduce again with say a 5 second hold only and progress from there.

selina27 likes this.
  8. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

We did 3-5 retrieves with high energy then stoped. Did this three times a day. I revved him up first before he was released. Kept him keen.

9. selina27

Thank you, confirms what I was thinking. I need to go back to get her to enjoy it again.

10. selina27

Thanks for your sound advice, I will do this. I think I'm hung up on getting her to enjoy bringing it to me and therefore rather wanting to get through the hold bit, Pippa's clicker retrieve advocates waiting till they hold it for 10 seconds consistently before working on bringing it to you. But as someone else has said I need to work with the dog I've got.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
    Jojo83 likes this.
  11. selina27

Thanks @Johnny Walker , yes I get what you mean, but the issue was not keenness to run out to pick up but being possessive of the dummy in particular. So with clicker retrieve she has to pick up the dummy from the floor. To start with she liked working this out but it's a bit like "This again", so I need to liven up the process

12. selina27

@Jojo83 , seem to have got my reply to you as part of quote, sorry

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Fixed it :)

14. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It does sound as if your dog is bored. Why are you going for such a long duration on the hold? I have never had any major problems with delivery with any of my dogs but I take delivery of the dummy as soon as it is presented to me. 9 seconds seems excessively long.

15. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

We've all been there :) Cassie hasn't read the training book so just go back to having fun and slowly re-introduce keeping I short and fun. I'm with @heidrun on keeping the hold short before delivery to hand and can't really see a need to hold for 10 seconds before being able to move on. I would be looking for a nice consistent hold and presentation to hand unless it's a requirement for field trials???

16. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No, definitely not a requirement in field trials which are held on live game. The aim is to get the retrieve to hand with minimal delay. Same goes for working tests which are held on dummies or cold game. The only thing that is required is a tender delivery to hand. A sit present is also not required. Looks nice but doesn't get extra points. :D

17. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Thanks for the clarification @heidrun I thought that was the case but would not have wanted to state it as fact knowing that there are members much more 'au fait' with the various requirements for field and trial.

18. selina27

Because I was following the clicker retrieve link which advocates this, and yes it is clearly too long for her. The problem was that she wasn't delivering the dummy to me. So it is a question of applying all the advice I get and finding out what works. Already we have had a better session this morning.

Jojo83 likes this.
  19. selina27

Yes quite, was getting to bogged down with following directions! I think really writing the post made it obvious to myself. I did a short session this morning retrieving another item which was fun for her and she did bring to me to get reward, even though she dropped it at least she came to me which she doesn't always do.

Jojo83 likes this.
  20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I guess the 10 second hold is there so that you're really sure you'll get a 2 second hold when the pressure is on. Also if you're lucky enough to work more than one dog there is a chance that two dogs come back with birds at the same time. It would be nice to know neither would put their bird down.

That said it really, really needs to be fun for both of you :)