Training treats

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by sabri.1996, Apr 11, 2018.

1. sabri.1996

sabri.1996 Registered Users

Hello

What treats do you use for training? I see on YouTube vídeos (Zack George training revolution) that Soft treats are very goods and I think that he gives boiled chicken but I don't have sure of that. What do you recomend?

Sorry for the two equal treads

2. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

I used to take his training treats out of his daily food, but, I think that got a bit boring for him. I have tried a few different things including dried fish skin and some other treats, but have now settled on cocktail sausages, each one cut into 4 bits, and he is loving them when we train. I still do use some of his kibble if i know he will be hungry and we are only doing 10-15 mins work.

EmmaHughes likes this.
  3. sabri.1996

The sausages are good for dogs? Don't have too much salt or conservants?

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I mainly use roast beef for every day treats. Higher value are frankfurter, pork sausage (both cut up small), Bonio biscuit, Schmackos(!) - these are all less good health wise, but they are very valuable to Coco, we use them in moderation. We also use tiny home made sardine or tuna treats, dried salmon strips, raw carrot.

EmmaHughes likes this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Try making some of these:

https://thelabradorforum.com/threads/pyramid-pans-for-dog-treats.22186/

For a small batch I use a couple tins sardines (in oil and in water..) around 100g spelt powder, tuff flour or rice flour. 50g parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, and a half teaspoon of frozen parsley. I make a sloppy mixture by blitzing in an ancient food processor ( add a little water to get the right consistency..) then load into the silicon baking pyramids. In the oven for around 15mins, then leave to chill in the fridge. I then break then into singles or doubles then back in the oven to crisp up slightly.
    You can use lots of variations, tuna, salmon, even mince.

snowbunny likes this.
  6. sabri.1996

Thank you

7. sabri.1996

Thanks

8. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

He doesn't get a lot, his main treats are still his Kibble from his daily allowance. But I do give him these during a 10-15 session 2 or 3 times a week - he loves them.

sabri.1996 likes this.
  9. sabri.1996

Thank you

10. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

First I gave Finn some of his kibble, but the trainer told me to get some more interesting treats....so I give him Dutch cheese in small pieces. Also sausage in small pieces. And some ovendried treats. I mix them, so he never know what he is going to get...

sabri.1996 likes this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco gets Dutch cheese ONLY for vet visits - helps keep him interested in me in the waiting room. We share it :oops:

Coa, CMartin and Anne123 like this.
  12. sabri.1996

Thaks for the tip

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I use the pyramid pans a lot for sardine or tuna treats. I make a massive batch in one go, using the 1kg tins of fish, and that lasts a few days (I have three Labs). I also use roast chicken and beef, tiny bits of ham, cheese, turkey frankfurter, fish sticks, dehydrated prawn heads... anything really! I very rarely buy specific dog treats, but when I do they are fishy ones from Fish4Dogs. The sea jerky and sea biscuits are healthy and great for training certain things, although I find them too big for rapid-fire rewarding which you need with some training. Brilliant for ping pong recall, using in bowls at a distance etc.

14. sabri.1996

Thanks