Travel troubles

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Mollly, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Molly has always travelled in her crate in the back of OH's Volvo estate. It has a glass sun roof and cream upholstery (I know, but we bought it before we got the dog) so,it is nice light and airy.

I have been saying for weeks, no, let's be honest months, we really must make some arrangements so I can take Molly out on my own. Today I finally convinced him NOT to put it off till tomorrow again.

Crate was duly fitted into the back of my Citroen. Vet bed was placed inside so everything was normal and welcoming. Dog took one look inside my Citroen with it's black leather upholstery and laid down. Cajoling didn't work. Kibble lobbed into car didn't work. Husband picked up dog and tried to insert dog into car, legs came out and braced themselves against car. By now we were both laughing our heads off. Clearly Molly does NOT like the dark interior of my car. She is not normally a nervous creature so we abandon our attempt.

Clearly a case of Dog 1, humans zilch

Any suggestions? I don't anticipate travelling with her in the car far or frequently, but feel it is an option that should be open to us without a lot of fuss.

2. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Travel troubles

Get a new car. Take Molly with you so she can approve it. ;)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie was pretty funny about cars at first. He's fine now. I'd just set some time aside when you are not actually in a rush to go anywhere, take bucketfuls of Molly's favourite treats - or her dinner - which she gets for going in the car. If you can just lift her in and immediately feed her dinner then take her out again. Things like that. Or if it's possible to put her dinner inside and wait for her to decide to jump in to get it and so on.

I'm such a one trick pony! Showers, hairdryers, steps - whatever it is that Charlie didn't like, I made into a treat dispenser. Hasn't failed yet.

4. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

Get in the back of your car first ;)

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I had a car problem with Charlie, so I got into the car with him gave him lots of treats etc. did this for a while then he got in with Hattie, I got in the drivers seat sat there NO engine running, then after a while I started the car but did not move, then eventually moved a little and then did a school run now he just jumps in no problem. Charlie's problem was as a rescue he had been transported quite a lot and had a fear of cars/vans :'( Good luck x

6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo hated the car. Really hated it. Then I lobbed a BIG bit of his favourite treat into the boot. Suddenly the car is not so bad. Next day when he got into the car he found a lovely lamb bone in the corner. Third day (what a surprise) his Kong had mysteriously materialised in there.

Pongo loves the car. Car boot sill now has scratches from where he has desperately tried to get into it before I open it for him.

Pongo is a simple soul.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley loves the car........but only if she is on the seats, not in the boot!! We put treats, kongs etc in but quite often she is still reluctant ;( we now use Adaptil spray and it has helped, but since her season, she will not willingly get in the boot ;(

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I could see Molly's point though. When I got down to her level the inside of my car looked like a big black hole.

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

line it with an old sheet so it's lighter??....

10. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Good idea. I'll give it a try.

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Definatley break it down like some of the others have suggested .....I wouldn't even worry about the crate being in there for now....just let her get comfortable with the inside of your car and then when she's happy with that ,start again with the crate....they don't half have you going the long way about things don't they ;D good luck x