Travelling by DFDS Ferry

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lorraine Seale, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Lorraine Seale

Lorraine Seale Registered Users

Has anybody recently travelled by DFDS ferry (Ijmuiden-Newcastle) and used the kennel? I cannot find any recent posts/experiences. I want to know how far they have to walk to go for their "exercise". Hunter will need to be crate rested due to an operation that has to be carried out as soon as possible. I was wondering how far my husband is going to have to carry our 23 kg "puppy" to the exercise area. Thanks if anybody can help.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

When I go to dog shows you see crates on wheels. They are bit huge but would fit a young lab.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I think the exercise area is usually close to the pet friendly cabins or kennels on board as they don't want dogs strolling all over the ferry. It nay be worth contacting Customer Services and query with them the arrangements for the ferry you are scheduled to travel on.

4. Lorraine Seale

For anybody who wants to know... The kennels were OK. The Princess ship lets you enter all the time to see your dog. Kennels are basic but clean. A huge sand pit is outside the "doghotel" door for toilet stops!! The King ship has restricted visiting hours and the toilet area is one deck higher!! My husband had to carry our 25kg "Puppy" up and down the deck stairs!! There are basic rooms available where your dog can stay in with you. You have to ring to reserve the rooms!! They are next to the dog hotel...so it could be quite noisy!! It was an OK experience and Hunter seemed to like it!!

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Good to know! I've wondered how they handle the 'dog rooms' on some of the ferries. Sounds like it really depends on which ship you take.

6. Lorraine Seale

The King had better quality kennels (Size XL) but they were clean on both boats and they provided clean water and pooh bags. I would prefer my dog to be in the kennel AKA "doghotel" rather than the car. Personal choice! Of course Hunter had a sneaky pooh on the carpet on the way to the car!!:oops:

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.