Travelling home with new puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by J.D, Sep 15, 2021.

1. J.D

J.D Registered Users

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. She is picking up a cocker spaniel puppy on Sunday from Hertfordshire and driving back to Edinburgh(6 plus hours)
    Unfortunately her driver has had to pull out at the last minute so she is facing the drive alone. Has anyone any suggestions how this is best achieved without stressing the puppy too much. Looking for ideas on where the puppy should travel in the car/how many stops etc.
    Many thanks.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Oo I got all excited that you were getting a new puppy then!
    One of my puppies travelled from North Yorkshire to the north of Scotland. They popped him in a crate in the back and travelled through the night (8 hours) he slept pretty much all the way.
    When they were nearly 9 weeks old, I drove my own puppy from North Yorkshire down to Southampton (7 hours). I popped him in a crate on the passenger seat with plenty of chews. He slept for the first 5 hours. When he woke up, I found a field gateway to stop in and let him out for a wee, then he dozed for the rest of the way.
    They seem to worry about early travelling a lot less than we do!

Chris N and J.D like this.
  3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Ha ha! Toby is more than enough for anyone!
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was hoping you would and it would be positive. I’ll pass it on.

5labs likes this.
  4. Annamarie Gebar

Annamarie Gebar Registered Users

I live in the US and had to drive 2.5 hours alone to get my puppy. I live in a new town and didn’t know anyone and my family is 2 hours in the other direction. I was worried, but I got a small crate and put it in the back seat where she could see me. I brought a towel and a stuffed puppy that has a fake heart beat in it and rubbed it in her sister snd mom do it smelled like them. She only cried for the first 5-10 minutes and then slept in the car the entire time home. I couldn’t have done it alone without a crate though.

J.D likes this.
  5. J.D

J.D Registered Users

She made it home on Sunday. After a difficult start with lots of crying she was “amazing” for the rest of the journey. Unfortunately her first visit to the vet has burst the bubble a bit!

5labs likes this.