Trimming/Shaving a Lab in Hot Tropical Area

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by cobyeu, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

No problem, let us know how you get on. :)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Definitely let us know how you do,it's a project to manage our dogs healthily in challenging environments ....I completely empathise x

3. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

Hi. We have seen a vet who has been highly recommended by some. Well he doesn't recommend shaving. He says Coby has a fungal infection malassezia and has prescribed itraconazole to be taken for 5 weeks and thereafter a 2 day on/5 days off on a long term basis. He said that many dogs here suffer from fungal infections because of the high humidity.( I'm a little uncomfortable with the long term use of anti fungal meds tho). His recommendation is to keep Coby dry by reducing bath and swim sessions. Coby's coat is still pretty dense. The undercoat rake doesn't really thin his fur much. I think I need to look at dry shampoos ...

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's great that you have something from the vet that might help him. Chat to your vet if you are worried about the long term use of a medication - usually the benefit of these medications (ie relief for the dog) makes it worthwhile.

I'd be a bit wary of dry shampoos.... They might be irritating. Just see how he goes on the medication first :)

5. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

I did mention my concerns but he said it shouldn't be a problem. My previous vet prescribed liver supplements with the anti fungal meds bec he said it may affect the liver. So it's rather worrying. I don't think I'd do the long term dosing, only the 5 week meds. Thank you for your advice re dry shampoo. Is it an ingredient in dry shampoo that can be irritating or that it would remove the oils on his coat?

6. Oberon

I don't know what the ingredients are in dry shampoo but no doubt they have perfumes and all sorts of unnecessary things that might pose a challenge for already sensitive skin. I would just avoid leaving anything on your dog's skin or fur that hasn't been prescribed or recommended by a vet. If you do ever need to use a shampoo occasionally then talk to your vet about Malaseb - this is a shampoo designed to go on wet fur and be washed off but it is effective specifically against malassezia.

If your vet has said that the medication is safe then there is probably no need to worry. You can always request periodic tests to assess liver function, if you want to. I would kinda suspect that if you don't keep up the low dose the vet has prescribed after the 5 week period then the problem may return.

I hope that the medication is effective and that you pretty soon start to see a result :)

7. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

Thank you Oberon. Yes I have actually started using malaseb for the past two weeks! Then I massage a coconut oil/green tea/Apple cider vinegar mixture. It helped a bit but not enough. I know the meds will help. I have to think more about the long term use but your suggestion about periodic tests for liver function is great advice which I will definitely follow if I go ahead with vet's recommendation. Once again, many many thanks for your time and help:)

8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We used to use a Furminator a lot on Tilly, but Cooper thinks it is an instrument of the Devil. I don't know if it actually hurts a little, or if it just her aversion to anything being done to her. I do wonder about Furminators, because they will take out under coat, when I can't pull any loose undercoat out between my fingers. I have read that they actually cut the undercoat, but I don't know if it is true. Cooper will barely tolerate a Zoom & Groom (rubber brush), and it mostly takes out loose guard hair, not undercoat.

Both dogs seem to have mostly quit shedding now, despite my comment having two shedding seasons, each 6 months long.

9. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

I'm using sth a friend passed to me. It looks like the furminator I see on Google images. My friend says the long toothed side is the undercoat rake and the other a flea comb. I don't know how to post a pic of it here tho.

I'm quite confused really. On the one hand we shouldn't shave a lab bec the undercoat helps to keep him cool. On the other hand we use a tool to remove the undercoat. Also it's hard to dry a double coated dog in humid countries yet we shouldn't shave their coat even if it would help them dry better and faster. Is it more a cosmetic issue bec it's a pedigree involved? Sorry I'm feeling abit more frustrated today. I just met another golden retriever who's been shaven and I find myself leaning towards the 'dark side' too. Coby again has fungal infection and I'm wondering if by trimming his fur to about an inch whether his skin could be drier and less yeasty and so avoid having to subject him to long term anti fungal meds as recommended by the vet. I'm really afraid of causing more damage to his organs esp when his kidneys are already a question mark.

10. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

Coby seems quieter since we started him on the meds two days ago. This morning we brought him to the beach but made sure he didn't go into the water. Still his body felt somewhat damp by the time we got home and he started scratching again. I used acv green tea on his itchy spots and he hates that. He crouches down every time i approach him with the spray bottle. It saddens me when he is fearful esp when I'm the cause. I wonder how I can make him happy and healthy and live to a ripe old age. Sorry. ..just being frustrated. .

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The comb only removes loose hair, it doesn't (shouldn't) pull or cut hair that's attached.

It's certainly not a cosmetic thing. I'd definitely defer to professional advice.

I'm glad the meds seem to be working a bit.

12. Oberon

I'd avoid spraying anything on the itchy spots. That stuff probably stings.

If you remove undercoat you allow a bit of air movement near the skin but you still have the outer coat to provide protection from the sun and extreme heat.

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

If he's itchy I might stear clear of a damp salty environment until he's a bit better. Dried salt from the beach makes my skin itchy too. Is it possible to dry him with a pet hairdryer at home? You would need to introduce it carefully but it might help?

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I hope you manage to sort something out for him. I did wonder whether you should really give the whole apple cider vinegar, tee tree oil etc a miss. Just stick to what your vet has advised, stick with it for a bit and then see what happens. The problem with doing all sorts is you can't work out what's making things better, and what worse. Just try one thing at a time, perhaps.

15. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

I'm sorry for my rant. Was tired from the sleepless night and the morning walk. I'm thinking more straight now. You all make perfect sense. I'll follow the vet's recomm (except maybe the long term use of meds)as well as you moderators/forum supporters who surely have more experience behind you. For the time being, no beach, no acv...and no shaving. I'm truly grateful for your advice and support.

Oberon likes this.
  16. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Don't worry we all know how frustrating illness is in our dogs. They can't talk to us nor we to them and so we just have to try our best to help them without really knowing how they feel or being able to explain that the unpleasant thing we're doing to them will make them feel better in the long run.

17. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

Thank you bbrown for the kind words ☺

18. Oberon

Don't worry, we understand how stressful it is to have an ongoing problem like this with a doggie. You just want your dog to be comfortable and happy and are doing your best to find the solution.

19. cobyeu

cobyeu Registered Users

Thank you Oberon. Yes he's my middle aged baby:)

Oberon likes this.
  20. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

No need to apologise, we all know exactly how you feel and we have all ranted much worse than that! (It one of the great things about this forum.)

I don't want to give you even more to think about, but just in case you'd be interested in other suggestions here are two from me:

- drying him off after swim - do you just use ordinary towels, or have you discovered the ultra-absorbent dog grooming towels you can get (one brand is called "Aquasorb")? We use these on Pongo and can get him very nearly completely dry just by towelling him down with them.

- skin problems - Pongo was bothered by regular "hot spots", especially in the thick ruff of fur round his neck that was hard to dry. We started giving him a little high-quality salmon oil with his meals and they've totally cleared up (and his fur is magnificent too). And he loves the taste. I don't think it can do any harm, and it is meant to be good for joints and general health too....so maybe give it a go?

Let us know how you get on!

Rosie