Tripe food

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Kelsey&Axel, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Does anyone supplement their dogs food with canned tripe?

I recently saw one of Axel's brothers who has a thick coat. Axel has seasonal allergies so his chest and legs are pretty bare! But his brother has a thick and luscious coat which got me wondering what food he is on. Axel is on acana and always has been. His brother is on petkind and gets canned 'Trippet' which got me doing some research.

Tripe is supposed to be very nutritious and supposedly helps with stomach issues, all sorts of allergies, with coat condition and a few other things. So I went to local pet store who told me that they recommend petkind over acana as the absorption rate is better and has less ingredients. So I picked up a bag of kibble and bought a couple cans of trippet and just used a bit this morning, it smells awful but both dogs LOVE it, so I will see how their coats and get on and see if it helps Axel's allergies.

Just was curious if anyone else uses tripe at all?

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

No I don't ...yet ! I keep meaning to get some tripe for her, so I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
    :)

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I feed tripe as part of rorys dried food. As you know he's had colitis but tripe doesn't upset his tummy at all I also give him dried tripe as a chew. Its not too fatty for him. It does stink I buy in bulk and my Oh nearly cries when we bring it all back in the car. :D

Kelsey&Axel and selina27 like this.
  4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I've looked into Petkind...it looks good, but is pretty expensive. Quinn LOVES tripe...I have tried the trippett cans for kong filling and as a topper with her pill. My vet basically said that with seasonal allergies, omegas/food change can help a bit, but not enough to counteract the allergens :( Tripe treats are also the highest value of any treats I have found!

Let me know how it goes! I've been reluctant to change her food until we saw how apoquel worked, since her coat was really thick and shiny all winter on her current food. Her fur grew back on apoquel and we have just stopped last week and are monitoring if the itch/hair loss returns.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  5. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

When I was a kid in the 70s my mum used to feed our labs tripe. She used to get it from an abattoir, bring it home, slice it in to pieces and freeze it. Stank to high heaven but the dogs LOVED it.
    (This was in the U.K.).

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I fed raw tripe when Oban ate raw. Oh my, the stink. I never could find it canned. I see the white, bleached stuff in the grocery store. Who uses that? What do people do with bleached tripe?

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Eat it with vinegar. I used to work for my uncle Ubi who was a butcher. We used to prepare and sell tripe. it was truely horrid we used to do all sorts of nightmarish stuff like brawn and lites .it was all super sharp knives and chopperety chop.I used to prepare chickens too. Pluck pluck pluck. It prepared me for Labradors though:rolleyes:

Plum's mum and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  8. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Good to hear that apoquel helped her! Petkind is very expensive for sure so if he is the same on it as acana then we will switch back. I don't think I could stand to smell a kong full of tripe! I basically don't breath the entire time I'm topping their kibble with the tripe. It's just awful:eek:

9. MF

MF Registered Users

I feed Snowie raw dirty green tripe as part of his raw meat and raw meaty bones diet. He loves the stuff! Apparently full of good bacteria. I also make kefir for him for the bacteria.

Is the tinned tripe pasteurized? If so, I don't think it would retain any value in terms of good bacteria.

Re itchiness - that's why we feed Snowie raw food. Unfortunately he's still itchy although he does have a magnificent coat.