Trying to avert another phantom pregnancy

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by selina27, Oct 9, 2017.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Cassie is just going into the third week off her second heat at nearly 18 months of age, she's been no trouble at all indeed very mellow and quiet, although I'm sure she'd love to cavort with the little terrier who's stationed himself outside my garden gate. Apart from seeming disinterested in retrieving she's more than happy to do the training and games that we do.

Thing is last time she had such a horrid phantom pregnancy which turned our world on it's head for a number of weeks. I'd read about giving Raspberry Leaf capsules, and rang up to order some today only to find I should have started it at the beginning of her season in order to have effect, so I'm quite upset with myself. Anyway the advice I was given is to try Evening Primrose which is apparently is also good for hormone imbalances so I've ordered some which should be here tomorrow.

The last few days her nipples have begun to swell, the little tiny one at the end has been invisible but is clearly present now. :eek::eek: I dread the thought of going through p.p again -- she was so distressed and crabby and we could do no training either.

But at least forewarned is forearmed and I should be on to it quicker this time, and will treat homeopathically from the outset if necessary.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  2. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Oh lummy, very best of luck. I know you had an awful time last time. I assume you are not going to have Cassie spayed.

Molly's going in for her laparoscopic spay on Thursday - worried about that too. We were told by our vet that if a bitch has a phantom 1st time, it is likely to happen subsequently. Fingers crossed for you that it doesn't for Cassie.

I'm with you on the homeopathic meds if needed though.

SwampDonkey and selina27 like this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I’m happy for you that Cassie’s second season is going along quietly and I truly hope she doesn’t experience any phantom pregnancy like last time.

selina27 likes this.
  4. selina27

Thanks for your reply @FayRose, yes I will have her spayed, my vet explained to me that from 14 weeks post end of season there is 2 months of optimum time to spay, I'm sure you know this. Any way to cut long story short I was going away in towards the end of that time and didn't want to leave her post op, also was slightly skint :oops: so after consideration I decided to postpone the surgery. I couldn't believe it when almost to the day the two months was up she started licking herself and was coming back in season!

Yes, vets say that, but talking around to other people who have dogs over a number of years it doesn't seem always to be the case. But I do feel I need to fasten my seatbelt in case there is a rocky road ahead :eek:

Hope Molly's spay goes well and she makes a good recovery.

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that Cassie doesn’t experience a phantom pregnancy this time.

selina27 likes this.
  6. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

Yes, I hope it doesn't happen again, you both had a rough time of it last time. That six months has passed very quickly! If Jess has hers on schedule, it will start on 18th December ... just in time for our Christmas & New Year travels to family.....

selina27 likes this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh Bramble is just in her third week too, it seems like every bitch I know is in season right now! Fingers crossed we don't have toy hoarding again...sigh...

selina27 likes this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Luna will not have a PP. She will not she will not she will not.

Rosie and selina27 like this.
  9. Beanwood

Bramble wasn't too bad :) A night of whining followed by a crateful of soft toys, which she protected day and night then got bored after a day or two.

selina27 and snowbunny like this.
  10. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Ah, right, I see. We're hoping also that the time is ok for Molly on the basis we had to delay it due to a possible phantom. Again, very best wishes for Cassie - and you ;)

selina27 likes this.
  11. selina27

From talking to others, both professional and lay, it does seem that Cassie experienced the extreme end of the spectrum in the quantity, intensity and duration of the physical and mental symptoms. I learnt yesterday that the remedy Urtica Urens is recommended along with the Pulsatilla (for changeability and mood fluctuations) that I gave her. You may know Urticen u is made from stinging nettles, it's apparently given to soothe the effect of unwanted milk production.
    Looking back, Cassie had a rash on her mammary tissue which I thought she'd got from rummaging about in the corner of my garden where nettles grow. This was before I realised what was going on, but it must have been part of the p.p. My poor baby, she must have felt so rotten.

I would say the odds are low that Luna will go through the same thing.

snowbunny likes this.
  12. Lara

Lara Registered Users

The Pig had a pretty dreadful phantom on her first and only season. The vet gave us some galastop which I think is pretty strong and resolved phantoms very effectively. In the end, we didn’t use it as she was coming to the end of it (I was told they last the same time as a real pregnancy, which was the case with the Pig, to the day!). So we have a full unopened bottle which cost £70! I am guessing though, that if you are more on the homeopathic end of things that a strong hormonal intervention might not be your preferred choice, but I guess it’s good to have that option if you are unlucky enough to have another bad one?

13. Beanwood

My thoughts are here, if the PP was so extreme, and there is a probability of recurring PP of similar duration and intensity, I would be talking to the vet and booking an appointment pretty close to the onset and discussing a care programme then which may or may not contain medication. Certainly I would also be talking around homeopathy just to get the green light in on the risk front.

14. snowbunny

How were Cassie and Indie during their actual seasons? Any significant personality changes? Other than the fact it looks like someone's been desanguinated all over my floors, you wouldn't really know Luna was in season. I'm just wondering if there's any correlation between the hormones affecting personality and PPs.

15. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Indie got very very tired, just lying in her nest with her ‘puppy’ (a squeaky pink bus). She was lactating. About half way through she developed an intense phobia of turning right outside our front door to go to the village, she would shake and howl and refuse to move until we gave in and turned left instead. To get her to the vets we had to take pink bus-puppy hostage and squeak him every few metres and Indie hurried along in a panic after him :(

16. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Oh sorry misread your question! During the actual season, absolutely fine. No personality changes to speak of, no promiscuity, training as normal! I mean, she was a complete mental crocodile back then but she was no different on season!

snowbunny likes this.
  17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

She probably won’t! Molly had two seasons with no after-effects, as did my cocker spaniel bitch.

snowbunny likes this.
  18. snowbunny

Oh, poor Miss Piggy :(

One of my ferrets had a PP which was awful, so I know how badly it can affect them. Twitch used to keep her sister in the cage (they were free-range in the apartment, but slept in their cage with the door open). If Fidget escaped while Twitch was sleeping, she'd hunt her down and drag her back. She even used to grab my finger gently in her mouth and "drag" me to the cage! I've just not experienced it with a dog - all our family dogs growing up were boys.

19. selina27

@snowbunny , no change in her moods in season, if anything calmer and attentive to me - but maybe that's down to training, growing up or change of food. She keeps herself very clean so not even very messy.

@Beanwood, I am confident using homeopathy, I've used it a lot for myself, my children and animals. My vet practice has a clinic once a week for homeopathy and acupuncture so I can get support should I need it. Rest assured Cassie's well being is uppermost in my mind.

@Lara, that's interesting about the duration, a lot of my difficulties stemmed from not understanding the syndrome and it simply didn't make sense to me. My lovely vet has since told me that it is due to the progesterone levels not returning to normal post season, I'm hoping Evening Primrose will help with that. My young neighbour is a third year vet student and she has promised me her lecture notes on p.p.

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ugh, it sounds awful, so hope you don't have to go through it again. Poppy had no problem with her seasons, and never showed any signs of phantom pregnancies, other than a bit of moodiness - but she could easily be distracted with a bit of dummy work.