Trying to train a teenager aka Woody :)

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by AlliumPurpleSensation, Jun 23, 2018.

1. AlliumPurpleSensation

AlliumPurpleSensation Registered Users

So, woody has now been with the family two weeks and all going well overall.

He came to us with some basic training but also easily distracted so to make sure I’m doing things right booked a 4 week social walking class to get us started.

It’s in a big field with 4 other dogs and he did well, I think!

He’s conked out and I could easily fall asleep after all the brain power we’ve used to concentrate!

He seems to understand what is needed but gets so easily distracted so homework this week is definitely lots of practice of, sit and waiting until released, leave and LAM.

We even managed a weaving walk through the other dogs at a distance with him staying focused on me, lots of treats involved and then keeping him focused whilst other dogs walked passed.

Over the two weeks I’ve also taught him to touch my flat palm with his nose which is just a bit of fun.

As well as the above need to work on the loose lead and the random barking on random nights which we know is either something in the garden or our neighbours teenage children coming in late.

Any hints and tips gratefully received.

2. AlliumPurpleSensation

3. AlliumPurpleSensation

Arrggghh still can’t figure out photo posting, might just have to pay the account upgrade so it’s easier!

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You need to park your photos in a third party host like Flickr or Imgur then copy the share link in your post. There is some info in Technical & Help section. Sorry can't do a link right now.

5. AlliumPurpleSensation

Thanks - tried Flickr app but didn’t seem to work, will try later on my laptop.

6. AlliumPurpleSensation

selina27, Plum's mum and edzbird like this.
  7. AlliumPurpleSensation

So went on a doggy play date yesterday evening and Woody was excellent.

Feels like we are seeing improvements everyday but I’m sure some of this is also down to how secure he feels.

We managed our standard walk this morning with only two about turns for pulling which was great. He is also getting pretty robust at leave and look at home, and look and sit until released when out, particularly good at pedestrian crossings.

Whole new ball game when we go somewhere different though and has to stay on his lead.

Am I doing the right thing trying to take him to new places once or twice a week ?

8. AlliumPurpleSensation

So week 2 of training class went well. We continued to work on look and stay with adding more distractions.

Also lots of walking past the other dogs and saying hello politely. He is definitely starting to pay me more attention and the trainer commented on how well we were doing. Trainee trainer also couldn’t believe he’d only been with us 3 weeks.

Feel like the efforts are paying off and just got to keep on with it.

The new favourite toy is helping :) squeaky snake is even more fun than food!

We’ve also been the pub this week and he coped well, even ignoring the one Barman he doesn’t seem to like.

Cats are slowly coming around too and they all decided to watch Countryfile with me last week together, we are all creatures of habit and just like routine x

I’ll try and put some more picture on later when I get home.

9. AlliumPurpleSensation

10. AlliumPurpleSensation

Today’s training was hard, for both me and Woody.
    Even at 9am it was hot and woody was a little jealous of one of the other dogs squeaky toys! So listening went a little out of the window. Added to this, in the next field along some people started clay shooting at least this didn’t cause a reaction.

A good learning experience though, as I realise in highly distracting situations need to get his attention sooner as once I have it focus will stay.

I then went down to a local village fete, sat in the shade with a friend and her children, Woody being an adorable star until a child had a squeaky horn on their trike . Cue woody thinking this is the most wonderful toy and me falling onto my back as he shot past me to play the new game. Luckily I had him on his short training lead so he didn’t get very far or manage to lick anyone to death!

Normality was restored once I’d figured out how I could sit back up again and untangle myself from his lead. What a sight it must have been

Crazy Labrador but just got to love them. We’Re now back home and he’s chilled out fast asleep.

11. AlliumPurpleSensation

Ggrrrr, my OH had Woody for the day yesterday as I was at Hampton Court Flower Show, lovely day but I’ve paid for it this morning!

OH clearly let him pull on the lead without doing any about turns when it happened so I had Woody from a few weeks ago back again this morning!

Thankfully it only took about half his walk and consistency for him to remember what proper loose lead walking was so he clearly took advantage yesterday :)

He also lunged towards the gate as we left the house which he hasn’t done with me for ages.

Think my OH will need a good talking to tonight! X

12. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I think training husbands is much harder than training dogs. :)

Chewies_mum and Stacia like this.