Unaffectionate puppy :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Beckyt6, Sep 17, 2016.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

One of my favourite books too it's really helps to understand dogd just need to be themelves too

Beanwood likes this.
  2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

You will love it! :)

3. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

Have ordered it :)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Can I ask, how religious is it? I only ask because one of the reviewers commented on it.

5. SwampDonkey

Religious? Found it funny and sometimes a bit sentimental but it made Me think and I enjoyed it. She does some really fun things with her animals and she seems kind. She's done a lot of really positive things for some badly damaged dogs. It's not the worst dog book I've ever read and I've read a lot I 've even found one that does do biblical quotes. honestly. I liked it. I liked her patience and calm

6. SwampDonkey

I going to have to read it again now! My copies 2002 and there is a rev Gary Kowalski quote. But theres also a another from Ian Dunbar on the dust jacket.

7. snowbunny

I read as far as I could with "Look Inside" on Amazon and she was just starting with some God references at the end of that. It's not that I'm anti-religious, but I really find it off-putting when it's nothing to do with the point someone is trying to make :)

8. SwampDonkey

I wouldn't have read it if was totally like that. janye goodall liked it and she likes chimps . Give it a go you might like it and you can always skip the spiritual bits you won't end up brain washed honest. The pig walking is so funny

snowbunny likes this.
  9. snowbunny

LOL, I recently read "Heaven is for Real", just out of interest. I certainly didn't come out the other end brainwashed. I found it interesting in its own way, even if I don't share the belief of the people involved. I'm definitely not against religion as a whole, I just find it intensely irritating when people can't construct a sentence without invoking God. :D

10. SwampDonkey

Yep me too, I just like to understand stuff. I did a theology A level just out off interest and because I'm very nosey. Still not a Christian but understand it a bit better and see A lot of religions for what they are. Still firmly in Dawkins camp

Oberon likes this.
  11. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I skimmed the Look Inside and I see what you mean, the church references etc. Regarding Gary Kowalksi writing a quote, he's a unitarian, and I know athiest unitarians. I would just do what they do, and anytime you read "God", have "God" be whatever it is for you, eg the circle of life, spirituality, the spirit of life within us, a Biblical God, nature, whatever it is for you...and whatever anecdotes she provides regarding Jesus and church etc, just see it as her sharing her personal experience. Well this all sounds like preaching to you, no pun intended lol, which I don't mean to be doing. I'm not religious myself and for a long time I had a very anti-religion stance across the board, so this is how I approach things, just so that I don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

I haven't read Heaven is for Real, I honestly don't know if I could stretch this approach that far!

12. snowbunny

Well, I read it realising it was a book about a kid's experiences in heaven, so I was interested to see how that was expressed. The answer was, "poorly", and I found parts of it remarkably disturbing, but you can't knock the strength of their belief :)

13. SwampDonkey

Oh I give anything ago widening my knowledge is fun. I also like to find out stuff so I can understand how people think . Its very useful in my job and I've always felt like an outsider as far a people are concerned. Think badly socialized dog and you get close. I always feel like most religons seem to be one group of people telling another group of people they are wrong and therefore bad. Its a bit like facebook except the unfriending Is a lot more nasty. I,m afraid orginal sin and that women and animals can't have souls just did it for me. Not that I believe we have souls it just annoys me that some bloke decided we couldn't. I try very hard to be good because I like to be good. I have been close to death a lot and the only thing that kept me relative socially acceptable is and sane the fact that it's just a random universe it could happen to anyone. I don't think there's is a plan or reason it just is. I want to experience new stuff so I read it

14. stevesnj

stevesnj Registered Users

Maybe he neets a Vet visit? Could be sick or something. Always good to have a Vet double check so it's not something medical.