Unattented Barking

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Stryker, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

So for the last few days when I'm not home, I have been getting a call from the old lady next door telling me that my little Stryker does nothing but bark when he's left home alone. Thankfully those times she has called I wasn't gone but an hour.

I have another friend that was at a thrift store and bought an Ultrasonic Bark Controller. He gave it to me to see if it worked and it does. When Stryker barked, he would stop and look at it it. My question is, if I only use this when I'm not home, can something like this be bad for the dog?

I don't mind him barking if he's playing or if somebody comes in my yard as he's doing his "job." However, the barking he does when he's left home alone is going to drive me crazy as the crazy old lady keeps calling.

2. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi

Forgive my ignorance but what is an Ultrasonic Bark Controller? How does it work?

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I imagine this is a sound within the dog's hearing range, but not human's?

In terms of your question of whether it can harm your dog - well, either it is just surprising, in which case it won't work for long. It will stop working as soon as it stops being surprising. Or, it is loud/high enough to be unpleasant to your dog, in which case it will work. I personally would not use something unpleasant, I think the unintended consequences of using punishment are too high. Plus, he is barking because he is unhappy, unsettled, and can't cope with being on his own. So I think you'd be better off re-doing 'alone time' training, including stocking up on a lot (and I mean a lot, not just one or two) super tasty kongs.

4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I suspect he is bored when he is left ? How old is he and how long is he left for ! I am not sure what that controller is but perhaps would make more sense to figure out why he is barking and then resolve it from there ?

5. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

Here is a link I found for the same device.
    http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm

The few times she has called me, I was gone for maybe an hour. According to her she says he starts barking the moment he hears me pull away and he stops as soon as he hears me pull up. I tested it a few times by just turning it on and playing with him. I knew how to get him to bark so I was home and it was a controlled test.

Most times when I leave it's pretty early, around 4:30am. On the days that she called, it was around his nap time which is around noon. When I'm home and I let him out this early he goes back to sleep so I've always assumed that's what he did until either I got home or when my friend and/or father comes over and lets him out. I'm home no later than 10:00am

6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

My hairdresser has been complaining to me about her Labrador (2-3 years old?) going into her garden and barking at a neighbour, who gets grumpy about it. Her son bought an ultrasonic bark stopper from Pets at Home, and the way she described the dogs reaction, it sounded very unpleasant to the dog. Trouble is, it worked - she was in a dilemma - was it cruel or a good thing? The dog looked fearful when the thing was brought out - I think that tells her.

Coco barks at the neighbours when he's in the garden, if they're out doing something like hanging the washing out. I'll either go out and distract him, play a game. Or if I'm busy in the house, I'll bring him in (with a stage-whispered "Come on Coco, don't be barking at people" - so they know I'm trying)

I think in the longer term, Stryker needs some work on being left alone so he can be happy and quiet without you.

7. ohthatcat

ohthatcat Registered Users

It shouldn't drive you crazy because the old lady annoys you. It should drive you crazy because no one should be subject to nuisance barking. Been there, done that.

I realize this thread is old, but I hope it was taken care of for your neighbor's sake!

Sunny