Unsettled Ripple

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by SteffiS, Sep 9, 2017.

1. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I don't think we really need a dog walker for on lead walks, OH is happy to do this, I think @leejane was just exploring ways to get Ripple off lead walks when I'm away. Actually the pulling has improved enormously in the last few months, we still have the sudden wrench that nearly pulls your shoulder out of its socket for something really exciting :rolleyes: , but general walking is a big improvement.

OH doesn't do much in the way of mental games but I think after today's talk he realises he needs to stretch Ripple a bit more when I'm not here.

kateincornwall, drjs@5 and selina27 like this.
  2. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Yes - I would definitely say that there has been a bigger change in Lucky's behaviour at around 3 years then there was at 2 years.

Do you have a garden? If your OH doesn't want to walk him off lead, maybe he can play games with him in the garden - it will mean Ripple is outside and has some freedom to run - and might get your OH interested in training and improve their relationship? Or are they any safe, enclosed spaces near you where he can let him off lead, or use a long line? Even just scattering his dinner around the garden for him to find, might make a difference.

selina27 likes this.
  3. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

We have a fenced off area in the garden that I use for training, OH does a few bits with him outside but it tends to be very repetitive so Ripple loses interest and wanders off to eat grass. I think once OH takes on board the amount of stimulation Ripple needs he should be able to do a lot more with him in the garden as we certainly have the space.

Naya, lucky_dog and kateincornwall like this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Agility tunnel? Or a few jumps? My dogs loved that

SteffiS likes this.
  5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I think it's difficult sometimes for our OH's to understand how much we do to stimulate our dogs as they don't always see it happening as they are working / away. When I went away in July for 5 days my OH struggled and said Harley wouldn't settle. He did take her for off lead walks, and played a bit some days, but he phoned me saying she keeps staring at him and giving him her paw. I asked if he had done any training (I had shown him several things before I left) and he said no because she had been walked!! He honestly thinks that all I do is walk her and occasionally play! It is the OH's we need to train.

Sven, SteffiS and edzbird like this.