Unsteady back legs

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by 20180815, Nov 7, 2017.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I noticed today when my lab got up after having a nap, his back legs were unsteady and not fully extended, like he was sort of crouched a bit with his back legs and wobbly? This lasted for a few seconds and then he was standing upright properly again.

This same thing happened two weeks ago when my OH tried to take him running (on lead), and possibly overdid it (just as an aside, he is nearing 1.5). He's no longer doing any on-lead running after that. He seemed fine after that initial wobbliness (I can't quite recall if it was the next day or not when he was back to normal).

Today may have been caused by a crazy zoomies session he burst into, running up and down the stairs like a possessed thing (which he did yesterday). I stopped him but the damage may have been done, causing this unsteadiness today?

I guess I'll have to take a watch and see approach and see if he's better soon, if not, then vet? What would be advisable regarding exercise while he's recovering, prior to seeing a vet (if necessary)? Is off lead or on lead walking better? Or does he need to stay off exercise? And is it likely to be stiff joints or something more serious? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm so worried about him :(

As an aside, has anyone had any success with joint supplements for joint health? Green lip muscle, that sort of thing.

2. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry to hear you’re worried (I worry like hell, too!!). Does he arch his back like a cat at the same time his legs are wobbly?

3. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Hmmm well his bum was tucked down a bit, I wouldn't say there was a pronounced arch, what would that be indicative of?

4. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Sorry to hear Beau's a bit unsteady. It would be worth seeing the vet as it's happened before, just in case he's pinched a nerve in his spine or something. I would always err on the side of seeing the vet if it's worrying ...

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He might have hurt his lower back a little bit. Might be a good idea to get the vet to have a look at him, to try to work out which bit is affected. I would avoid running/jogging and stair zoomies for at least a couple of weeks. I doubt that any permanent damage has been done from just a couple of episodes, but do make sure he’s given recovery time in case he’s wrenched or overused something.

6. MF

MF Registered Users

The walking stiffly with back arched like a cat is indicative of pain and trying to avoid it - could be a pinched nerve in the spine. However, your boy’s wobbly legs could be caused by something else - I’m not a vet, I’m only relaying what my vet told us when our boy had a slipped lumbar disc.

Is he on meds? Our boy also had hind quarter weakness thought to be from toxic levels of epilepsy meds.

You see - could be anything. Best you have a vet examine your dog and make a proper diagnosis. It might be nothing, or just a pulled muscle from being so wild at that age.

Let us know how you get on. These wild pups can really make you worried!!

7. 20180815

20180815 Guest

He seems back to his usual self today, thank goodness. Going to be mindful of him not getting too crazy (lord help me) but if this happens again, definitively will need to have him looked at by a vet. I’m hoping it’s two isolated incidents from strain.

He isn’t on any meds other than the usual (flea/worm, etc).

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hopefully it was just a pulled muscle :)

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Such a worry aren't they? But anything out of the ordinary, that has you concerned, should be looked at by a vet, in my opinion.

Granca and snowbunny like this.
  10. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It would be worth seeing the vet if it happens again, or even mentioning it when you next see the vet for a check-up. I'm glad to hear he's back to normal.

11. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Glad he is back to normal. Hope it does not occur again, but would be tempted to get a check up sooner, especially if it does happen again.

12. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Well a little update, this weekend my lab started shaking his head a lot, scratching at his ears and pawing at his eye, and briefly again with the strange back legs and posture. The vets weren't open on Sunday so in the meantime I had a look online and it seems ear problems can cause them to stand/move strangely towards the affected side, and as I suspect both ears may be affected, that could well be the cause of the odd body posture that he did from time to time. I've booked him in to see the vet first thing tomorrow so we'll get it sorted. On the positive, he's still his usual waggy, full of energy self, so hopefully it isn't anything serious and will be able to be taken care of quickly.

Granca, selina27, Jazzmynn and 3 others like this.
  13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hope you get an answer at the vets and that it is easily remedied.

20180815 likes this.
  14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Nice to hear your lab is is usual waggy self. Hope he gets sorted at the vets tomorrow.

20180815 likes this.
  15. Oberon

Hopefully it’s something simple that’s easily addressed.

20180815 likes this.
  16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hope the vet can make him better :)

20180815 likes this.
  17. MF

MF Registered Users

Let us know how you get on at the vet. Good luck!

20180815 likes this.
  18. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hope Vet manages to gets to the bottom off it and Beau is back to himself quickly.

20180815 likes this.
  19. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Back from the vet. My lab received much love from everyone :p The vet had a look at his ears, eyes, and legs, and said he had a very mild ear infection, as well as a skin irritation. The inner ear flaps are both red, and his eyes have gone a bit pink around the outside, but his actual eyes and ear canals are fine and clear. He remarked it was odd that it's localised around his eyes and ears but not also his feet, which are fine, so I don't know what to make of that. He also checked his legs and said the odd behaviour was likely down to the irritation he was having in his ears and eyes, like an itch reflex that was making him behave strangely, and that it would likely resolve itself when the skin irritation and infection had cleared. He's had an injection and also drops to put in his ears twice daily. We've been told it should clear up in 24-48 hours, but if things aren't better in two weeks we'll need to come back in. I don't like not knowing the exact cause of the skin irritation (I did ask but the vet said there are so many possible causes), but hopefully it does clear up in the next couple of days and was just a freak occurence.

Kelsey&Axel and Karen like this.
  20. Oberon

Well that sounds a lot better than some of the alternatives! Hope the drops etc clear it all up with no more wobbles.

20180815 likes this.