Update on pup and my son...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lab_life, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Lab_life

Lab_life Registered Users

Hello, don’t know if you remember the issues I was having with my pup constantly biting my 5 year old but thought I would come back and update you guys. After having 2 dog trainers in, many sleepless nights and the fear that I had made a massive mistake...I decided I needed to just follow my own gut instinct and just stick at the way I wanted to deal with it. I’m so pleased to say that he no longer bites my son at all, he is a gentle giant with both my children and they adore him now. I’m so glad I didn’t listen to the advice of the trainers of using a pet corrector etc. Hunter is now 6 months old and the most beautiful dog and a wonderful addition to our family. He does still nibble me and my husband occasionally when he gets over excited but we are working on that. He spent 3 days over Christmas at my parents house with us and he was amazing. I hope this post will help any new owners who are having a rough time with a new pup to see it may not feel like it at the time but things do settle down. I want to say a massive thanks to everyone who commented and offered support/advice on my many frantic posts. I really appreciated it.

Also just a quick question....Hunter is super clever (in my humble opinion) and my friend suggested seeing if there were any gundog trainers that would train him. Is this such a thing? I’m Norfolk area in the uk. Any info would be great.
    Thanks again to this great forum.

Ruth Buckley and Junopup like this.
  2. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Fantastic news. When I first found this forum I was desperate to hear from people who'd come out the other side with bitey dogs. People tend to post when they are having problems (and it was great to realise I was not alone) but I love hearing success stories most of all.
    I don't know anything about gundog training I'm afraid. We really enjoyed Hoopers classes if you can find one near you, it's a bit like agility but low impact so suitable for all ages of dog.

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

That’s great to hear especially as you were “on the verge of giving up” in October. Keep up the good work. Patience pays off.
    Might be worth posting in the gundog section Re your question.

4. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Lab_Life, thank you so much for coming back and sharing your progress with us, we love to hear when families finally turn a corner after the most gruelling puppy stages, and get to enjoy the rewards for all their hard work and patience!

For gundog training, try visiting The Gundog Club site. The Gundog Club helps people train their gundogs through participation in a non-competitive graded training scheme - there are affiliated trainers all across the UK.

Good luck!

5. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

That is brilliant news. Well done for hanging on in there