Update re the local honey

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by kateincornwall, Aug 18, 2012.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just to let you know that since starting the dogs on local honey a month ago , Flynn has had no more red itchy tummy from his grass pollen allergy , I stopped giving him Piriton weeks ago :)
    Sam had had canine acne under his chin since he was about four months old, I had tried everything to boost his immune system to no avail , it has completely gone :) They both have honey every day , Sam a large teaspoon , Flynn half a teaspoon , they lick it off a spoon and love it but you could add it to food, great stuff :)

2. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Re: Update re the local honey

great news and well worth knowing - thanks for sharing ;D

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Am interested to know why honey is good?

Stacia

4. kateincornwall

In cases of grass pollen allergies , its treating like with like, thats why it has to be honey local to where you live so that its similar pollens collected by the bees to the ones causing the allergy, its homeopathy really and it also works for humans with Hay Fever :)
    Honey is also known to boost the immune system, helping it to fight infections so with Sams Juvenille Canine Acne , which is a similar thing to human acne , the honey gave his immune system a boost to fight the bacteria that caused it .
    Many years ago , one of my Jack Russell Terriers got bitten by an Adder , I got her to the Vet quickly who administered anti venom but didnt rate her chances as she was a tiny dog . However , fight it she did and began to get better but wouldnt eat and began to fade quickly . I was advised by the Vet to dilute some honey in warm water and literally pour it down her throat , it worked like rocket fuel, she improved daily and after ten days was back to normal :) Honey is also a natural antiseptic so good to put on cuts and grazes and if they lick it, it is good for them anyway , sorry for the rambling , I am a bit of a honey geek :)

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Riley has developed acne...he's about 15 months old. Am going to try and find some local honey !

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Wow that's really interesting, my old boy gets a grass allergy each year, wonder if it would work with him rather than the cortisone injection he normally ends up getting...

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I was mentioning this today at our training class (having read the post the other night) as one of the dogs has an itchy rash. I was asked how "local" the honey needs to be. Needless to say I had not a clue - piqued our curiosity though. Anyone have the answer to this? We would all be interested. Have some beekepers about 5 miles away but would this still work?
    Jacqui

8. kateincornwall

That will be fine, within about 10 miles is usually okay , hope it helps :)

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thanks Kate, I shall pass that on. And pick up some for my son who's hayfever nose is running like a tap LOL ;D
    Jacqui

10. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Local honey is wonderful stuff. My old girl had dreadful grass allergies on her skin and hayfever, we have a fantastic herbalist vet who mixed up an 'extract of compost heap' for her which worked wonders, delivered daily in a spoonful of local honey. I licked the spoon (after the honey not the compost extract) every day and it's helped my hayfever, so much so that even though Juno's gone now I'm still taking my honey. Although I've heard that this year has been the worst for years for hayfever mine's actually not been as bad as usual and it started later too. I'm sure it's the honey. It's works excellently on upset tums too.

11. kateincornwall

Glad that you`ve had positive results too :) My terrier has had no trouble with his grass pollen allergy since we started him on honey a while ago and yes, it is excellent for tums and for boosting the immune system in young dogs , I cant speak highly enough of it :)