Upset tum in older dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by labradorlover, Jul 30, 2018.

1. labradorlover

labradorlover Registered Users

My nearly 13 yr old lab has over the last few months developed a sensitive stomach. Originally thought it was because he's on Metacam for arthritis so stopped - went to vet and they have prescribed another anti inflammatory which he's been taking for the last 7 days and perfect fine. He has yu digest daily to firm up motions and they were doing the trick until today when he has done a very runny motion. Any suggestions please - is it because he's getting older just don't know.

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If your dog is on anti-inflammatories it could them causing the problem, particularly as you've already moved away from Metacam. Have a chat with your vet because it is possible for your vet to prescribe a medicine which is given before the anti-flammatory which helps protect the stomach. Good luck

labradorlover likes this.
  3. labradorlover

thanks for advice JoJo will check out with vet. he goes for laser treatment every week for his arthritis so will try and see if I can get appointment to coincide with nurse appt.

Labradorlover

4. labradorlover

Update got anappt at 10.30 before his laser treatment so will keep you posted

Jojo83 likes this.
  5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

6. labradorlover

Hi JoJo

saw vet and changed medication however he's had a couple of falls over the last few days so he checked him out and referred him to a surgeon who performed a ct scan - sadly it is bad news and my beautiful boy is suffering from degenerative myelopathy. He is on steroids which has improved his condition but not sure how long he can be on these. He is going for hydrotherapy tomorrow which has been recommended by the vet. He has told us he will become paralysed eventually and obviously the best decision will be taken for him then. Possibly got 6 months but could go on longer (fingers crossed)

7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So sorry about your poor lad.

8. labradorlover

Thanks Cath - were just going to make the most of our time. We go on holiday to a cottage in Hereford at the end of this month - somewhere we.ve been nearly every year since he was 10 months old and he loves it there plenty of sheep poop to eat!! an enclosed garden but access to a very large estate with lots of wild life - heaven for a dog. I will let you know how he enjoys it.

Lesley

Kathygeorgina, Granca and Cath like this.
  9. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sounds wonderful

10. labradorlover

certainly is.

11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So sorry to hear the diagnosis. I hope the symptoms are kept at bay for a while and that you're able to enjoy a lovely holiday.

12. labradorlover

thank you so much Granca we certainly hope we do.

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am so very sorry to read your sad news. It sounds as if he can have a wonderful time at Hereford before he goes downhill, but I do so hope it stays away as long as possible.

14. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I'm so, so sorry to hear your diagnosis. I'm sure he'll enjoy the hydrotherapy. My girl, 4 yrs old, goes regularly as she has ED and loves it and since changing our centre there has been a big improvement, so fingers crossed that your boy benefits as well.
    Some dogs tolerate steroids better than others and as you've discovered they can make such a difference so we'll hope that he continues to do well on them.
    Enjoy your holiday, it sounds a lovely location, and enjoy each and every day with your boy xx

15. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi so sorry to hear about your beautiful boy but i hope you all have a lovely holiday,sounds wonderful:)

16. labradorlover

thank you Stacia - I'll let everyone know how we get on

Stacia likes this.
  17. labradorlover

thanks Jojo83 I'll let you know how we get on. What is ED

18. labradorlover

Thanks Saffy will be making the most of it come rain hail or shine.

Labradorlover

19. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Sorry ED is Elbow Dysplasia

20. labradorlover

he had has first hydro earlier on and he was wonderful - he really enjoyed it. It was a pleasure to watch his moving in the pool and the therapist said he was quite strong, he wasn't stressed and his heart rate was good. Booked for next week and the following week he'll be at the vets and then we go away. we'll continue when we return. I realised what ED was as soon as I asked - just not thinking straight. Sorry to hear your girl has this but presumably its manageable without surgery at present.

Take care