Upset tummy

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by poppyholly, Jan 28, 2017.

1. poppyholly

poppyholly Registered Users

Sorry to bother everybody again, we had been doing really well, with the help of this forum.
    However we spent a week by the sea, Poppy was on the beach every day and loved it.
    But on Wednesday evening she started with diarrhoea, I didnt give her breakfast Thursday and she seemed better, however last night the diarrhoea returned and she has been sick once.
    Poppy is now 5 1/2 months old and i am wondering what I should do, people have said to starve her but how long for? and then to give rice a chicken for a day or two.
    Am I doing right?

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

As she is still young, you need to make sure she is fully hydrated. I haven't ever starved Harley even though she's had really bad tummy issues. Previously I have given her small amounts of boiled rice and chicken throughout the day. I also I have used prokolin to firm up her stools.
    If she is sick again I would call the vets just to be sure.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

@JulieT 's tip for improving hydration is to put a couple of flakes of tuna in the bottom of a bowl of water, dog tries to drink all the water to get to the tuna.
    I think one sick and a couple of runny poops I would let pass but if its going on, then advice from the vet would be appropriate (I know...it's the weekend....:( )
    Really sloppy plain boiled rice and chicken is an option, scrambled egg is another.
    I have never used prokolin, but know others do. I'm a firm believer in "letting it out" if possible, but you got to watch for dehydration, and a lot of it is about what your dog is like in themselves...a bit quieter? Not responding as usual? Just lying in bed? They would all make me worry.
    Hope Poppy picks up.

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hope Poppy's feeling better soon. Has she possibly eaten sand or something rotten off the beach, even drunk too much sea water? Certainly call the vet for advice if she shows no improvement soon.

5. poppyholly

Thanks everybody, I will see how things go tonight.

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Did she drink a lot of sea water? That could be the reason of diarrhea...

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah sorry to read she's not well.Sounds like this has happened while you have been on holiday too? Sea water can really upset them,I had a bad experience at the beach with my friend and her 2 dogs....we all ended up in the Vets,her dogs on drips,my dog needing pain relief from getting Limber Tail from trying to keep up with the older dogs.Since that time,I never throw any thing into the water for Dexter to retrieve ( to be honest, he hates the salt water anyway) it lessens to amount of water that they take on then.
    I hope you had a good night? If she still had diarrhoea or has been sick again I would be going to the vet x

8. poppyholly

Update - Poppy didnt wake till 7am, and has had boiled rice and chicken for breakfast, so far so good.

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Great news ,sounds like she's in the mend x

10. poppyholly

How long do you think I shoud continue the rice and chicken?

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

24 to 48hrs normally enough without speaking to vet I think.
    How are things?

12. poppyholly

I think I introduced the kibble back in her diet too soon, so we took a step back but this time I am going to feed her the chicken and rice for a full 48 hours.
    She is fine in herself, but when we go for a walk later, or should I say when she takes me for a walk later! I am going via the vets to check her weight. If she has lost weight I will make appt for the vet regardless.
    Will keep you posted, and thanks again.

13. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Fingers and paws crossed she doesn't need a visit to the vets. X