Urachal Remnant Question

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by im4usc06, Feb 22, 2017.

1. im4usc06

im4usc06 Registered Users

Hello. This morning I dropped off Scout for her spaying surgery. A few hours later we got a call from the vet saying that when they cut her open they noticed she had a urachal remnant. They said it would be easy to take care of since they were already doing the spay today. However, I had never heard it that until the call. Has anyone else experienced with their puppy? Or know anything about it? Thanks.

Little more information on Scout. She is a little over 6 month and besides a small bout with Giardia and taking a longer time to potty train she has had no other issues.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I hope the spay went well , and that Scout is home with you now and beginning her recovery ? I`m not too sure but I think the urachal remnant is something left behind from birth ? If so , then its good that this was found at her surgery and dealt with , all in one fell swoop ! I`m sorry that I don't know anything about the condition , but I wish her a good recovery x

im4usc06 likes this.
  3. im4usc06

im4usc06 Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. Scout is still at the vet, but doing well and we will pick her up this evening(we are in the US). You are correct, the vet described it as a tube that usually dissolves away after birth but if not it can cause issues in the dog from leakage of urine, mainly UTIs. Our vet said it was very rare, but could explain why Scout has had some issues with potty training.

SwampDonkey and kateincornwall like this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thank goodness for her surgery ! Hope all goes well for your little girl , please pop back and keep us posted when she comes home , hopefully she will recover well and the training will be easier x

im4usc06 likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there!
    The Urachal remnant is the leftover connection between the bladder and the belly button that forms when the foetus is developing in the womb. During development, everything all kind of develops from the spine and folds over to the front, leaving the line from nose to bum as last to close up.

This might just be like a thicker area of tissue, but could be a blind canal including cysts, or even a complete connection with leaking of urine from the belly button.
    More often than not the most likely thing is a short blind tunnel coming from the bladder that could be a focus for urine infections.

Good to hear the vet has spotted this and sorted it out, as it could (rarely) cause problems in the future.
    Hope Scout makes a quick recovery once you get her home.

jac

MF, kateincornwall and im4usc06 like this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, just wanted to say, I hope Scout has a speedy recovery. xx

im4usc06 likes this.
  7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Fascinating!!!!

im4usc06 likes this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Wishing Scout a speedy recovery

im4usc06 likes this.
  9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That's good that the vet was able to do the two ops in one and avoid potential problems in the future.

I hope she recovers well.

im4usc06 likes this.