Using bells at door for potty training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by NSandstrom, Mar 19, 2019.

1. NSandstrom

NSandstrom Registered Users

We have been using bells hanging at the door for potty training. Our 4 1/2 month old pup is doing pretty well with this. Now that our spring weather has started, she rings them pretty much continually and doesn't necessarily "go" when taken out. While I don't want to ignore her, I am getting the sense that she simply wants to go out and enjoy the sun and play. This continues after a fair amount of exercise and play outside.

Suggestions??

2. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly Registered Users

I thought about training my pup to use a bell to let us know he needed to the bathroom, but ultimately decided against it for this reason. Sometimes he just wants to go outside and he makes it known, so if I taught him to ring a bell, it would become an annoyance. My puppy does a good job of letting us know he needs to go outside with out a bell.

I would think the only way to solve the issue is by not using a bell. But I do agree that them ringing a bell is pretty cool :)

3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We have had a pet door for all of our Labs (and cats). We have a pretty secure back yard, and the dogs have never been escape artists, so it works great for us. It also means we can be away for most of a day occasionally without worrying about letting the dogs out.

4. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

I taught Willow to woof when she wants to go out sometimes she woofs to go out just to play but I wait a little while if she don't settle I let her out. I know she wants to play in the evenings as she will pee when let out in the day.
    She don't like to poop in the garden so gets walked about 9: 30.

5. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

We put up a Christmas bell on the door. He figured out in all of two seconds how to ring it to go out and the next day it went into the garbage. Lol.

Edp likes this.