Using hind legs to scratch spay incision!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Priya71, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Priya71

Priya71 Registered Users

Hello,

My 7 month old Enya was spayed 2 days ago. She is in the 'cone of shame' and hates it. I have ordered a softer collar from Amazon...hope that would prove to be better. I am watching her like a hawk and to my dismay, I caught her trying to scratch the incision site with her hind legs while standing. She was almost able to reach it and would have definitely caught a few stitches:(

The cone is preventing the licking but how can I prevent this hind leg maneuver??

Please provide any suggestions from your own experiences

Many Thanks,
    Priya

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We didn't have a problem with Lilly.
    I believe others have found a small human T shirt of use. Although I'm pretty sure you can get a bespoke doggy version.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

A few of my friends have used a T shirt rather than using the cone and that helped. Apart from close supervision (which you are already doing) there's not a lot you can do except distract her with something else.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My little one was spayed last summer and would not leave the wound alone , but hated the cone . Being very small ( 5 kilos ) I couldn't find a soft collar small enough but salvation was at hand in the form of a Medi Vest , bought from Amazon , although I later discovered that my Vets also sold them ! She didn't seem to mind wearing it at all , and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if ever we had to .

drjs@5, Stacia and Cath like this.
  5. Priya71

Priya71 Registered Users

Hi everyone, thanks for all your responses. Here's an update. We survived....Yay!! It was a tough 11 day period but the sutures were removed yesterday and my girl appears to be healing well. I bought a soft collar from Amazon and I love it. Enya didn't mind it at all and it kept her from licking the incision. She appeared to use her hind legs to scratch it initially and I panicked but after a few tries, she didn't bother to do it anymore:)
    Here's the collar that worked for us,
    https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Cloud-C...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KPZB5MH1GKGR9N12M7Z5

Thanks,
    Priya

drjs@5, edzbird and SwampDonkey like this.