Using the front ring of the Perfect Fit Harness

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by snowbunny, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Mines nearly had me over a few times using a harness with too much slack lead that's why I can't have him on a longer lead. I am only 5ft if I stretch

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ok. In unfortunate circumstances, your dog might pull you over - because you haven't trained it not to pull or lunge. Not because it's wearing a harness. Or you are short.

Sorry, needed to say that...:D:D:D

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This describes every front fastening harness I've ever seen in action. They all pull round to the side while the dog continues to pull ahead. I see plenty of this going on at my dog club among the newer dogs/pups.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hahahaha!! Oh, no, it's definitely nothing to do with the fact it's a harness - the same would definitely apply on a collar. In some respects, I think it's worse when your dog generally does walk nicely, because it's more likely to catch you off guard if they do lunge. Like I said before, I'm lucky mine aren't lungers.

On the short thing, someone the other day said I was tall!!!!! We were sat on a chair lift at the time, so it might have been difficult to judge, but I did correct him. His response was, "Well, you're not a hobbit".

Best compliment I've had this year.

5. Newbie Lab Owner

Sorry I wasn't saying it was because of the harness just that it can happen with the harness. I thought that your previous post JulieT was meaning that it was less likely or doesn't happen with a harness, my mistake. It has been when I've been caught off guard that it happend to me.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah shame you can't have it to rely on for situations like that,having 2 must make everything more hectic when they have the divil in them!
    The Julius K9 harness I bought this week for Dexter's travelling trousseau has a handle on the back...i can walk him on a flat collar if its somewhere he knows but hes not reliable in new places. I'm thinking this one will be perfect for if he takes a dive at something interesting that he's never seen before and he's not connected on the harness ring.I can instantly take the tension off his neck.
    When he has got it on he looks like he could work at Blackpool beach with the donkeys giving pixies a ride!

8. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I'm also glad to know it is not just me! I use a Perfect Fit on Pongo and I am very pleased with it - it is sturdy, and I think he finds it pretty comfortable. But I only use the back ring. I have once or twice tried putting one end of the lead on the front ring - it does help stop him from making really determined pulls - but it twists and is a bit awkward really. He also gets tangled up in the double lead. I did wonder if I was using it wrong, but apparently not.

Pongo is (slowly) getting better on the lead. But when he decides to go, he goes. I'd describe it as less of a "lunge" and more like a rugby forward ploughing through a maul. In fact I think the entire Welsh rugby international side would have a hard job holding Pongers back when there is a scent he needs to get to. I don't really have a chance....

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Absolutely brilliant. THIS is why we learned physics at school. I knew there was a reason. I will need to re-work these figures based on Pongo's mass (40kg) and mine (60kg). Also don't we have to factor in the relative traction offered by four feet over two (assuming all six limbs are in contact with the same sort of surface)? *heads off to find pen and paper*

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm really bemused by the advice to use a front ring on a Y shaped harness. Be really interested in the replies people get from perfect fit on this....are you going to follow it up with them, snowbunny?

11. Tori_lizzie

Tori_lizzie Registered Users

I haven't managed to read all of the comments in this section as my computer is having a few issues, i own the perfect fit harness for my boy and wasn't aware that people attached the lead to the front D ring alone, i believed for it to be a training aid or at least thats what I use mine for. I use it as a guide to bring Max back into a heel or as extra support for when he does pull (hundreds of cats and foxes in my area which is a pain for me as Max thinks they make excellent chase toys)

12. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

It was given 9/10 on the site in a review of harnesses, one of the reasons why I bought it.

13. snowbunny

It's definitely a job to get them both walking nicely at the same time. When I have them individually, or when hubs has one and I have the other, they're absolutely brilliant. When I have them together, they fall into the position that they have come up with themselves, which is Willow ahead and Shadow behind. Shadow's nose level with Willow's rump. Shadow closest to me. They do this when walking to heel whether on lead or off. It's not ideal, because it means Willow is ahead of me if Shadow is walking in the "correct" position, but if she is in position, Shadow is well behind. They seem to really dislike walking shoulder to shoulder, however much I try to lure it - which is impossible to do on lead, anyway, because I don't have enough hands!
    Anyway, Willow being ahead means that it's more likely to be her that will pull towards a smell or something because she gets there first. This will then encourage Shadow to follow.
    A definite work in progress, although when I think back to this time last year, they've come so far. As long as I'm happy them being in their self-allocated positions, they're probably about 75% solid. Last year, I could barely walk two paces without wanting to tear my hair out :)

Absolutely. They've asked for some photos and I'd like to take some video, too, but I'm not sure how to do that since they very rarely pull and I don't want to set them up for failure by introducing something to make them pull just for the sake of a video.

Yes, you're supposed to have a double-ended lead attached to both the back and front rings at the same time, and use the front as an aid to prevent the dog pulling. You'd only have tension on either the front or rear ring at a time, never together. The idea is that the front ring turns the dog to prevent them getting anywhere from pulling, but that wasn't my experience; the harness turned but the dog didn't, and it had no effect on their ability to pull.

14. Newbie Lab Owner

Tori_lizzie, you use the back or back and front together, not the front on its own. That's what I remember being told. Hope that helps.

15. Tori_lizzie

Tori_lizzie Registered Users

I think i may have a slight hiccup in what i wrote earlier. I am aware of how to use the harness,thank you.

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think people were agreeing with you. :)

17. snowbunny

Heh, yes, it's where you said "and wasn't aware that people attached the lead to the front D ring alone"

I don't think anyone was doing that - so, yes, I was agreeing with you - I just have a bad habit of being overly verbose. I should have just said "Yes" :D

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I had a harness break on me whilst we were being attacked by my next door neighbours dog from hell and I was worried about this so got a perfect fit as it looked strong and comfortable. I know that I can get Rory out of trouble with it quickly. He is also happy to have it on which he wasn't with some of the others I've used He is very strong and is a lunger and it has helped with this. I use it when I am in places that hes not allowed off lead on a training lead and he seems happy but I only use the back d in these situations. I use both D rings only when I'm going to the park now as he is excited and a few weeks ago when we got hit by a cyclist on the pavement because he only had his collar on getting out of the cyclist way made me worry about his neck , as i had to pull them into a hedge so the didn't get injured. I am very careful when using the harness any harness really. I train for walking happily by my side but sometimes feel the need for a harness as added sercurity. I tried different types and found this on the most reliable so far. I can walk Rory happily with just a collar now but I just worry about his neck if he lunges or something bad happens, with this harness its easy to grab the back part and move him out of trouble and get him behind me. I feel happy that it won't break of hurt him. I do worry about the front D if the dogs gets attacked and the forces the twisting can deliver but try to be careful and instead of pulling on it I turn him round my body . When rory was wearing his and playing off lead with a friend a GSD x wolverine attacked him it got a mouthful of plastic and nylon and not Rory I live in an area with a lot of dogs some of which are horrible and on local parks which have kids footballers joggers and cyclists and it can be dangerous for a dog or walker. I also often walk up to 3 dogs at once 2 most of the time

19. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Just had a quick read of all the comments! I love our perfect fit harness and use the front D ring when I want more control (cats and squirrels are about a lot!). The harness doesn't twist or move at all even if I have to pull Maisie back. It's great for restraining her if she sees something she wants to chase and so far I remained on my feet! The best bit of kit I have bought so far! All the parts are different sizes, S, M & L.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  20. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

@Debs did you have it fitted at a shop or buy online? I'm sure part of mine must be too big even though I gave them his measurements over the phone.