Vacuum cleaner help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Florrie17, Jul 27, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, gosh, Shadow's yellow hair shows up SO much worse than Willow's black hair on our flooring - combination of oak and various shades of tiles.

2. Florrie17

Florrie17 Registered Users

Hello everyone from Florence and I and thank you for all your suggestions! I hadn't heard of the Shark vacuum cleaner so will look at that one as well as the Dyson animal.

Our previous dog was a Sprollie and her hair was quite long so was fairly easily removed with a pair of crocs (if you shuffle around!) and it was generally only where she rolled, however Florence's hair seems to be all over the lounge - even areas she doesn't go, so "croc shuffling" could be very time consuming.

I feel that this could be an ongoing war! Have to say though I quite like the suggestion that hoovering the dog could be the way forward!. Could save lots of time!

3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We have one of the Hoover Battery vacuums that does a fair job on dog hair. It is really easy to use and I try to do it every day or so. The Kenmore Canister with a power head does better but is a lot more work so it does not get used as often. I also have one of the Hoover hand units mostly for picking up errant dust bunnies and a quick clean on the stairs.

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I curse my carpeted floors every day, so this vacuum discussion is really pertinent! I hadn't heard of the Shark so just googled it - good dog it's expensive. When we re-carpet I'll be tempting to put laminate in the living area/hallway and just carpet the bedrooms. Between the dog and an elderly cat who spews A LOT my carpet looks rough, and my 4 year old Electrolux just can't cope anymore.

5. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

I don't have a Shark vacuum but do have the Shark steam mop, it's fantastic! I will check into a Dyson though since so many of you recommend it. Anything to make it easier. My backyard is mulch and dirt since I live in the mountains.

6. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I have a cheap and cheerful Henry Extra, which has a turbo head. It does a brilliant job getting my two black lab's hair off the beige carpets. I much prefer it to my old, very heavy and loud Dyson Animal Stowaway.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Moo scared of Henry's it's the eyes:rolleyes:

Beanwood and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I also loved my Dyson - it's back in California so I haven't seen it for a while though! For hard floors, I also had a magical broom made of short little rubber nubs. I got it at some home and garden show eons ago. It was fabulous because the fur would seem to stick to it instead of just pushing the hair around all over the place. No idea where you'd get one now but I just had a look on Amazon and this looked similar.

Spencerboy likes this.
  9. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Smart dog, Henry freaks me out too. :D

10. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I have some sort of Henry too, I don't know if there's any Extra, but Cass thinks he should play with her. It seems to do a good job, but Cassie has limited to carpeted (beige) areas.

11. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I know this is said in jest but our older Lab Sky is genuinely frightened of our vacuum cleaner - we got her at 5 months and reckon she was 'hoovered' in her first home. Even if I offer her the chance to go outside or in another room, she won't go but cowers and prances around it. I often vacuum when DH is out walking the dogs.

We have an old Dyson - brilliant on tiles, wood floors and carpets and Dyson V8 'stick' vacuum which is good for stairs and cobwebs! Thought it would be good for getting dog hairs in the cars but disappointing. Yellow hairs show up more than the black ones on everything :rolleyes:.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Shadow is terrified of the vacuum. He has never been hoovered :D

We always say, he would make a brilliant guard dog, unless the burglars forced entry with a Dyson :cwl:

Beanwood and selina27 like this.
  13. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

@Rosie 's Pongo loves being hoovered :D

Rosie likes this.
  14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We have wood and stone floors, did away with all the carpets so just rugs. I sweep up and hoover with a Dyson, not sure what model but it does the job as I have to empty it once a week and my dogs hardly moult :eek: x

15. Spencerboy

The broom I use is similar to that one,but is smaller. It isn't rubber but dog hair really sticks to the bristles like a static magnet. I've had it for ages, just wash it off occasionally and good to go! I don't think they make this style anymore though, can't find another and I have been looking for awhile just in case! Wish my dogs would let me hoover them!! They grow new fur coats overnight!

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So our dogs even get to dictate how we finish our homes as well as everything else mmmmm. No carpets stone floors I didn't believe Moo but it's true.

selina27 likes this.
  17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I hoovered Molly for the first time today (she's not scared of the hoover at all). I didn't get much hair off as I turned it to low suction for the first time in case she didn't like it. She just looked a bit surprised but not worried. I've just got a little Bosch which does a good enough job.

selina27 and Rosie like this.
  18. Spencerboy

Lucky you!!:) I don't think my pups would like it. My husband tried it with another dog we had and from then on she was afraid it!

So yes Moo it's true!

19. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Some of you may have seen the Pet Blowers that they use at groomers. One of our friends with a Samoyed has one at it will remove huge amounts of fur. Of course you have to do it outside. They have very powerful blowers, but are much quieter than a vacuum cleaner. We considered buying one but we tried our friends and Cooper was not impressed. I think we could have made it work, but they cost between $400 and $1000 so they are quite expensive, and we didn't think it was worth it.

20. Florrie17

Florrie17 Registered Users

Fear not - Florence tries to eat the hoover nozzle (which she thinks is great fun) so doubt if she'd let me get close enough to hoover her anyway! I have just ordered a Shark cleaner so we'll see how we get on :). Seems like this quite a hot topic for us lab owners! So thank you all again for the various suggestions.

Naya and selina27 like this.