Vet Puppy Food Too Straining on budget...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Labrina, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Well McQueen has turned almost 6months now and 'without' montly visits it's costing me a whopping 18 euro per week for his vet kibble by Pediatrics. I have today been forced to improvise on this unfortunately and have purchased Friskies Balance by Purina .... When I ask my vet all I get is the standard, it's a shame to give him anything but the kibble he's been getting to date and will be a good idea to stick to it till the age of 18months. I tell him straight out I cannot afford it any longer and he simply shrugs...So seriously guys ...3.40 per week as opposed to 18 euro is a hug difference for me in these trying times but this guilt trip I'm feeling for doing it is really bothering me...Any ideas? I am getting multiple answers for this one by previous dog owners stating they do it for the commission but heck I don't know...All I know is I cannot afford it any longer ....There has to be another way...

Labrina

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Vet Puppy Food Too Straining on budget...

It must be very difficult indeed, not having a full range of alternative foods available to you , can you possibly list what ready made foods are available and then I can look at reviews for you ?
    The price of the Vet food is really atronomical , would it be cheaper to feed raw or is this too difficult where you are ?

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ouch that is some pricey food!

Post a list of options, someone may have used one or more of them in the past. We changed kibble 3 times in Riley's first year to try and find something that suited and had reasonable feedback.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That is a lot of money per week. You could try the cheaper kibble but keep an eye on your dog's body condition, coat, poop and energy levels. If you notice no change then he is probably doing fine. Supplementing with some variety would be good - what is the cost of decent quality (ie fresh) meaty bones or chicken frames or lamb ribs - are these things affordable where you are?

I don't know if vets make very much money from selling kibble. I, too, have had an expensive kibble 'pushed' onto me by a vet but I think it was more about ideology than profit.

5. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Hello everyone and thank you for your feeback ...As far as I'm concerned in terms of raw it works out pretty much the same as paying for the high end kibble anyway. There is eucanuba and pro plan(friskies) and so many other cheaper brands in the market so I'de seriously need to go and write up a list of available cheaper solutions. In the meantime, I have started him on friskies, although, I have read up some reviews of it containing garlic causing them stomach grief and coat loss but ugh...what can you believe on the web nowadays??? brands trying to outrank others etc. royal, eucanuba and pediatrics the most expensive here and most used all pretty much within the same price range... the rest well...there is a german chain that sells in bulk but I have no idea whats in them ..never really looked ... All that worries me is that he's so perfect currently and I in no way want to disturb his growing processes because of the damn economic crisis in this place...

6. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aw, what a gorgeous boy :) He's completely adorable, and looks in great condition too.

With the kibble, what about half premium, half cheaper variety? Or even a third premium? The premium kibble will have fewer 'fillers' (like corn) in it and more high-quality protein (i.e. from meat/animal products), so even a portion of it in the mix would be better than none.

Also, as you say, there may be a middle-ground feed in the supermarket (e.g. one of Purina's mid- to higher-end products). :)

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

What a lovely boy he is Labrina , I love the pale cream coat, he looks a really great pup :)

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

He's beautiful, and looks in good condition, nice and slim!

I would try to use as little of the lower end kibble as much as possible, perhaps supplementing it with raw. What about fish - if you go to the market at the end of the day you may be able to pick up fish really cheaply, the same goes for chicken backs and necks. A butcher in the uk just gave us around 10kg of lamb ribs with meat and fat on - we brought it back to Germany with us and it is now bagged up in small plastic bags in the freezer... Super dog food for FREE!!

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Labrina, McQueen is soooo handsome, just love him. Helen x

11. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Is it wrong to be biased here...'HE's GORGEOUS!!!' Thank you everyone he is one of the best parts of my life at the moment along with my son so I like him to look and feel his best. Therefore, what I have done is actually gone beyond my budget and bought a larger bag of the vet kibble and some friskies on the side. What I plan to do is take your advice for as long as is possible and perhaps mix the two in lengthening it's time span. He eats so damn much ~! So, thank you everyone ...I am actually going to see how I go with all this as I couldn't for the life of me sleep thinking about giving him things that may destroy his natural growth process. I have heard so much...I may be overdoing it but the way I see it I wouldn't feed my son just anything then why should McQueen be any different ? I took on the responsibility and I guess I will wear it ...I'm just THAT type of person ....Sometimes I actually wonder whether I did the right thing bringing him home in the first place....

12. David

David Registered Users

Hi Labrina. Lovely, lovely puppy!

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't think you or George will ever regret getting McQueen, even if he does cost a lot... He'll be your best friend forever! :)

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You know you love him no matter what :) :) Helen x

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

In spite of the worries, the dog hair, the fox poo, the wet walking clothes, the training, the vet bills........
    ......they are worth it ;)

jac

16. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

[​IMG]

How can you NOT Jac !!! Look !!! fuzzly wuzzly !

17. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

[​IMG]

And then you wonder why the kids find him annoying sometimes...He found it hillarious just plonking in the hole whilst they were digging ! Gotta Lovim ... Great trip no dramas ..with me 24/7 !!!! I'm so proud !!

18. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

[​IMG]

And one more just because I cannot for the life of me help it ! He gets on so well with other dogs !!!

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Labrina what stunning pictures, looks like you had a ball on a much needed break. So glad McQueen behaved, and for one so young too, what a good boy!! ;) Helen xx

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

They look great Labrina - hope you enjoyed the break and did some relaxing!

jac