Waiting for season after Phantom pregnancy

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Claire-louise, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Claire-louise

Claire-louise Registered Users

My 3 year old chocolate lab had a phantom pregnancy which I noticed on the 18th of december which went on for about 8 weeks, we have decided to breed with her but she has not come into season when she was due to, and it has now been ) months from when I noticed her phantom pregnancy, dose any one have any advice on when I could expect it and why it hasn't come?

Many thanks in advance

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Claire-louise although we are often told that a bitch has 2 heat cycles a year some don't or they have a 'silent heat, or there is a longer gap between the cycles, or a shorter gap between cycles, or a splut cycle which are all normal. If your girl had a phantom which lasted 8 weeks I wouldn't really expect a heat for around 6 months following the end of the phantom - her hormones have to get back to normal. If you're worried it's best to have a chat with your vet.

Claire-louise and Beanwood like this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Yup, I agree, there will be a gap between a phantom pregnancy and a normal season, to allow for the falling of hormones after the dioestrus phase (phantom pregnancy) then into the anoestrus phase before the heat cycle. Our bitch Bramble only has one season a year, so it is not that unusual. :)

Claire-louise likes this.
  4. Claire-louise

Claire-louise Registered Users

Thank you for the replys I will just continue to monitor her, got to book vets for jabs so can have a chat with them, just wanted some reassurance that it is normal and nothing to worry about.