Walking difficulties

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Atemas, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I recently joined this forum using the Labrador Puppies section. I have had some wonderful help and support.

Last year, we made the decision to get a second dog and finally got our puppy Red a yellow lab in February this year.

We have had Sky our black Lab for 10 years. She is a fantastic dog, beautiful nature, very quiet and apart from some recall issues when she was younger and a horrible desire to eat poo out on off lead walks which made her horribly ill at one point; she just fits in with us and the wider family. We have also been fortunate to have friends who love her and will have her to stay when we go on holiday. She always comes on our camping holidays and loves to run on the beach and in the sea. She has never been interested in other dogs - although she is ok when my daughter's greyhound comes to stay.

Unfortunately, at the very time, we got the puppy Red in February, Sky went lame in her front left leg. Vet gave her painkillers and advised no walks for two weeks. Since then she has been better but not as she was before. My DH who walks her, lets her decide if she wants to join him and more and more she has not wanted to go. She has now stacked on the weight through inactivity. This weekend, she has been limping badly and it seems to be both front legs, so we will be taking her to the Vets.

She has not taken well to puppy Red (I have documented some of this in my Puppy Blues thread) and we have tried to get the dogs together. However, this weekend we have only let Red near her on lead and tired and are actively discouraging her jumping on Sky.

I am finding this very stressful - would not have got the puppy had we foreseen this? Hate this almost seperate life with the dogs we are leading in this house.

Anyone had similar experiences and any suggestions how we can help Sky accept this new puppy and yet be protected because of her leg problems?

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sorry to hear Sky is having problems with her legs. I'm glad you are taking her to the vets as it sounds like further investigation is needed. Unfortunately no one can foresee things like this. I would definately cut down Sky's meals if she is putting on lots of weight as it won't help her legs.
    It may take longer than normal for Sky and Red to bond, especially ask Sky is clearly in pain so is probably more sensitive. Can do you some small training sessions with both of them at home like sit, come etc and treat both at the same time?
    Hopefully the vet will be able to shed some light on what's going on with Sky. Do let us know.

3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thank you Naya for responding. Yes in the evenings, we do short training sessions as you describe. That's all we can do at the moment. The bonding process is terribly slow as Sky just doesn't seem to want Red around and now the mobility issue - it's tough. Will let you know what vet says.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You really haven't had Red for very long. It can take many months before dogs get on well with a new puppy. Give it time and try to be patient. This stage won't last forever.

As Naya said, you really do need to get Sky's weight under control. If she's not getting the exercise she was, it's up to you to adjust her intake accordingly. Being overweight is just going to exacerbate her pain, which you obviously don't want. If the volume of food needed to have her lose weight seems too small, you could look at getting a low calorie food, which will have more volume for the same number of calories, so she will feel more satiated.

5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Just taken Sky to the Vets - she is to have x rays on Thursday so we can find out what is going on. I have also got pain killers for her immediately.

Naya likes this.
  6. Branston1080

Branston1080 Registered Users

Hello there
    I'm sorry to hear sky is having trouble. We have an 11 yr old lab called Maddie and a 1 year old called Winnie. Maddie is fully arthritic and just can't manage the full walks. Without wishing to go into the full sorry of Maddie's health she became massively overweight on steroids and unable to walk any distance. The vet recommended Hills Metabolic and over a period of a year she lost 10kg.
    The food works wonders and we fill kongs and bones with it so she still thinks she's having a treat. Clearly this is out of her daily allowance.

In terms of when Winnie arrived a year ago, Maddie didn't really like puppies and looked mortified at Winnie's arrival. We made sure she had her own space was given lots of attention and gradually they bonded. Winnie adores her, I think Maddie tolerates but they are good together it just took time. Maddie did put her in her place at the beginning when she was a bouncy pup. We were careful to supervise, Red and Sky will find their place together it just takes time. Just ensure Sky has her own space, particularly if she is lame and in pain.
    Let us know how you get on

7. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thank you for this Branston. I have spent the afternoon at the Vets with both dogs separately so I am very tired and weary, therefore it is good to hear your story. Sky has put on 3kg since she was last weighed last year. I will ask about her food when I take her in on Thursday. (Ironically, Red the puppy is on Hills Prescription food for her diarrhoea problems currently).

Sky has not really put Red in her place yet which concerns me - they have been allowed time together in the kitchen but always Sky wants out. Perhaps when she has had her x rays and we know a bit more about what we are dealing with, we can restart this. I do have them together in the sitting room in the evening, mostly Red on lead or in her crate but we had a minor success the other evening. They are always supervised when together.

Your story gives me a bit more hope that time will change things here - at the moment it just feels really tough.

Naya likes this.
  8. Branston1080

Branston1080 Registered Users

IMG_0026.JPG
    @Atemas
    Hang in there, it will improve. Our breakthrough moment came giving them both kongs and Maddie allowed Winnie to lay next to her and they mirrored each other. See photo.

Pen_1, drjs@5, edzbird and 11 others like this.
  9. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thank you. I have just ordered a larger kong for Sky and will save some of her food to fill it when it comes - they can then have them in the evening.

Branston1080 likes this.
  10. MF

MF Registered Users

What an incredible photo!!! Too adorable for words!

Branston1080 likes this.
  11. MF

MF Registered Users

@Atemas what will you be x-raying? Will it include her neck? Snowie limped on his front legs (alternated) as a puppy and there was a suspicion he'd hurt his neck from a flip while wearing a head halter. We didn't X-ray because the limp stopped, but it's something I think about when a dog limps on the front legs.

12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

She will be having 8 x rays altogether - 2 on each elbow and 2 on each shoulder. I am pretty sure the results will be arthritis but we will see.

13. MF

MF Registered Users

Has your vet examined her neck?

14. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

No, I will certainly ask for this to happen when I take her in tomorrow.

MF likes this.
  15. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, I hope the vet has some answers for you so you can get Sky feeling brighter again. Jasper was 9 when we got Meg. He was very unimpressed with the bouncy turbo rocket that we had introduced to his world. He was a bit grumpy with her for quite some time, he then tolerated her for a while and now..3 years on they are best buddies. He is getting old..nearly 12 for a 50kg is very elderly but he hoodies around with her having a blast. I know she keeps him young. It did take months though so fingers crossed they will get there in the end :)

Atemas, selina27 and Branston1080 like this.
  16. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hope you get some answers for Sky tomorrow. I'm sure she'll be much more relaxed around the pup if her pain is under control.

Atemas likes this.
  17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Wishing you good luck for Sky's X-rays tomorrow.

Atemas likes this.
  18. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I hope all goes well with Sky's x-rays tomorrow and solutions to her pain can be determined. Meanwhile, just keep positive - it's such hard work and so tiring, but worth it in the end.

Atemas likes this.
  19. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Sky had her x rays today which also included her spine. The vet examined her neck and her legs beforehand. I was shown the x rays and she has mild arthritis. Will need ongoing daily pain relief. We talked about her food and agreed a change to Hills Metabolic & Mobility is the way forward to get the 3kg she has stacked on. We are going to look into hydrotherapy for her as she loves to swim. She is very sleepy now but it is good to have her home. We feel happier now knowing and that the scenario could have been a lot worse. Also feel a bit happier about Red the puppy being near her but will continue to carefully manage this.

20. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi there @Atemas

Gosh, you don't get a let up, do you, if it's not Red, it's Skye! Poor you. Can't help with the 2 dog household bit, but I can offer my thoughts based on Monty, who has severe ED and HD, with arthritis in his ankles.
    - he has daily anti inflammatories which work wonders. Also some supplements which I'm not convinced on but keep giving them to him as it's no bother
    - Monthly cartrophen injections
    - 2-3 weekly hydrotheraphy on a treadmill - ongoing, they have given him great hip muscles which is exactly what we were hoping for
    - Acupuncture every 8 weeks
    - Satiety food - fills him up more for less kibble
    - there 's loads of ways to make food go further if on restricted exercise, eking it out in frozen kongs with a bit of carrot, greens, for bulk.
    - There's also an excellent thread bout up by @JulieT for ideas for dogs on restricted exercise.

Monty's weight is a constant battle - I know it is for nearly all labs, but for those with joint problems even an extra kilo can make things worse. Monty's perfect thin weight would be 27k, (and he's a very tall dog) but I struggle every weigh in to get him under 28k. So I know how difficult it is.

Glad you've got an answer as to what's been going on with Skye and you can now plan accordingly.

Atemas likes this.