Walking Help Desperately Needed.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Katjush, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Up untill about two weeks ago Aramis was a complete pleasure on lead and off. No problems whatsoever, until now when he now won't walk on the lead at all. The whole time he will fight it , tear it out of my hands , drag me like he's a rodeo horse bucking and diving to get it off me. He goes completely beserk. It's gone so far I can no longer walk him with our other dog, and after this morning walk I can now barely move my shoulder. I read a thread last week about an owner having a similar issue, and Aramis has no trigger it simply starts from the moment the lead is attached to his harness. I've checked the harness out he's not sore in any way and has no problem wearing that alone , it just seems to be the lead . Off lead he walks to heel perfectly still and I'm out of ideas , and after being driven to tears this morning I don't know what to do ...? Please help.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Luna was never as bad as this, but she sometimes gets frustrated when the lead is on and can give it a good chew. The key is to reward any calm behaviour. Even if that means, to start with, don't put it on him, just have it in your hand and give him treats for ignoring it. If you use a clicker, this would be a good application; as soon as he ignores it, C&T.
    Move towards putting it on him, still rewarding calmness and simply ignoring any silliness. Until you've worked through this issue, try to avoid taking him "for a walk" on the lead. Once you can get it on him in the house without him being a bucking bronco, take him out the door and sit on the doorstep, repeating the process. Then gradually, go one pace, two paces etc, all the while rewarding calm. Never remove his lead when he's in a state and, wheen you take it off, keep him with you for a few seconds before releasing him. You can do this by asking him to walk to heel, or giving him a game of tug, hand targeting, or anything else he likes to do. Keep each session short and achievable and you'll get there.

Me and my dog and Katjush like this.
  3. Katjush

Katjush Registered Users

Thank you so much for the detailed response , and help. I am beyond grateful. I will do as you suggest, and hopefully we can get somewhere.

snowbunny likes this.