Walking off the lead

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lynnew, Mar 21, 2016.

1. lynnew

lynnew Registered Users

Thank you - we are doing quite well, but we do have out moments, it helps that George is always with us and is rock solid on recall so will bring the pup with him. However there was a sticky moment the other day when we met loads of flat coated retrievers who were rallying on the beach I use ( I must have missed the memo - I would have avoided going that day) . They had more than forty from the villages around and about. Henry was amazed and of course joined them.

I was a bit rattled as they were heading off towards their cars and the road so I invested in a training leash. I thought I could let him run free but be able to catch it if he was heading off into the sunset.

I must be a source of huge amusement to the coastguards in the watch tower - first try it took ages to unravel and the winds here on the coast are always blowing a hooley, it flapped around my legs, Henry's legs and at one point George was in serious danger of being hog tied, when I tried to grab it it slid through my fingers and gave me the horrid sensation of a friction burn. So next time out I clipped it to a harness ( so as not to choke Henry if I have to reel him in) replay of first rubbish attempt and friction burn. Third time mega gardening gloves on, but still wind blowing a blinking gale and while I was poop scooping after George it got wound round my right foot and yanked tight! Therefore have abandoned training leash at the mo and am exercising them really early so there are minimum distractions down there.

Good luck with Luffy's training - excellent name by the way

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well done in getting him off lead though.

Yes, the training lead thing. I think you really need a nearly trained dog to use them properly, really! :rofl:

lynnew likes this.
  3. Luffy

Luffy Registered Users

Many thanks for the heads-up on the trial and tribulations of long leash training - a pair of heavy duty garden gloves will be carried to the park. :0)

Luffy's name was chosen by my brother. Based on a cartoon character of sorts - Luffy is definitely living up to his name!

lynnew likes this.