Walking struggles

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mylestogo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Re: Walking struggles

I live on Cape Cod, Massachusetts and I have the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Bay on the other and dogs are not allowed on them from May 15 through September 15th....so even that is restricted! By law, dogs have to be on leash, no matter where they are (not on your own property, of course). So our poor dogs cannot truly run free anywhere. Even when dogs ARE allowed on our beaches, they have to be on leash. I dont even have a doggie park near where I can take him and allow him to run. Luckily, I have a great day care that has a large area where all the dogs run free and play games and socialize with each other. Guess we are just behind the times here. And it's truly sad.

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

My part of France can be difficult with dogs to be off lead. Beaches are banned from early April to the end of September, dogs are banned from local parks although allowed in local bars ;D We're lucky in that we have numerous 'voie vertes' within a 20 minute drive where dogs can be off lead, you just have to be alert to joggers and cyclists. Even at one of local lakes dogs are meant to be kept on a lead.

3. Mylestogo

Mylestogo Registered Users

I wouldn't say I have no options for him to be off lead. Even where it's "not allowed" people still do it (I'm in the suburbs in Texas). The nature trails I go to frequently always has dogs off lead. Yesterday I walked him to an open space here in my neighborhood and I've seen other people playing fetch with their dogs off lead. I can start here (no car ride!).

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Mylestogo link=topic=10683.msg159439#msg159439 date=1430055763]
    Yesterday I walked him to an open space here in my neighborhood and I've seen other people playing fetch with their dogs off lead. I can start here (no car ride!).
    [/quote]

Perhaps with a long line and some recall exercises first....if you haven't had him off lead, at nearly 5 months, he'll have no recall at all.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

All my off lead walks are a car ride away, come to that everything is a car ride away ;D Locally all walks are on long lead as it's all roads with no pavement and only rough verges with lots of tractors zooming between fields.

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10683.msg159444#msg159444 date=1430057392]
    [quote author=Mylestogo link=topic=10683.msg159439#msg159439 date=1430055763]
    Yesterday I walked him to an open space here in my neighborhood and I've seen other people playing fetch with their dogs off lead. I can start here (no car ride!).
    [/quote]

Perhaps with a long line and some recall exercises first....if you haven't had him off lead, at nearly 5 months, he'll have no recall at all.
    [/quote]
    and lots of super treats ;D

6. Mylestogo

Oh definitely JulieT. No way I'm taking a lead off him, yesterday I did just drop it (his 6 ft leash). And kept him in stepping on it distance. I do have a long one I can try.

So question is, what should I be doing with him? Just c/t when he looks at me, or try to actually do basic training with him.? Guess I'm not sure how to start establishing a recall. Maybe just need to get the book ;)

7. Mylestogo

Walked him to our area near home and had him in a long lead. To my surprise he followed me around very well, so I just c/t for checking in with me, for coming when calling him. I haven't officially read up on how best to do this but that's next. All in all, he had a good time and enjoyed the freer running around. We did have to do lots of "leave it" with all sorts of sticks and such. But even that he did well for a piece of chicken. Now he's happy for a nap.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Mylestogo link=topic=10683.msg159460#msg159460 date=1430060791]
    Walked him to our area near home and had him in a long lead. To my surprise he followed me around very well, so I just c/t for checking in with me, for coming when calling him. I haven't officially read up on how best to do this but that's next. All in all, he had a good time and enjoyed the freer running around. We did have to do lots of "leave it" with all sorts of sticks and such. But even that he did well for a piece of chicken. Now he's happy for a nap.
    [/quote]

That's great news Mylestogo - I think you will find him more motivated for you the more fun he has :)

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You are doing the right thing - c/t for checking in :) You can also elicit his attention by calling excitedly and running backwards a couple of steps - are he turns to you c/t. That's the start of your recall. At first only do this when he's not distracted and you're confident you can get his attention.

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Users

[quote author=maisiesmomma link=topic=10683.msg159073#msg159073 date=1429916909]
    Haha. So if you have any sort of "stop" cue, you might use that and then release to get him to move forwards… Maisie seems to forget she doesn't want to come in when she's asked to not come in and then "allowed" to come in - haha.
    [/quote]

Hi Mylestogo

Just wanted to send you my moral support as well. Sounds like you're doing great. I've also done this ^^^^^ with Bonnie when she doesn't want to move forward (always on the way home)... It's like she forgets why she's stopped and simply responds to the "okay" and moves on, forgetting it was a self-imposed "wait" in the first place!!!

Good luck
    xP