Walking vs playing??

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Kim1328, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Kim1328

Kim1328 Registered Users

I take my 6 month old lab for 2 walks a day for about 20-30 each. I have read you should not “walk” them more than that. My problem is that is not enough exercise and when I try to play in yard and let her loose all she wants to do is eat poo and not play at all. I live in country so there is rabbit, deer and whatever else all over our property. I can’t possibly pick it all up every day but not sure how to get her the exercise she needs off leash??

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Mental games will tire her out quicker than any physical exercise you could be part of. And it's better for the longer term. It teaches the dog that it is okay to be calm rather than bouncing around the garden like a kangaroo. So, if I were you, I would teach her scenting.

You could, for example, teach her to find the droppings of the other animals. Combine that with a leave it cue, and reward her with treats of value, at least equal to the poo. Carry a bag with you and so a scenting game in the morning and you've cleaned up the area. And mentally stimulated your dog.

Kim1328 likes this.