Walking your dog on a loose lead

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by snowbunny, Sep 3, 2015.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

2. Calkarima

Calkarima Registered Users

Thankyou for posting this. I've been getting pulled off my feet for a while now. I've started following this over the last few days 2-3 times each day and I think we might finally be getting somewhere

Joanne anubis, Emily and charlie like this.
  3. BigDutch

BigDutch Registered Users

Yeasss! After about 14 months of trying me and Riley have had an almost perfect loose lead walk. We just have to nail down meeting other dogs head to head. We are all OK if the dog is on the other side of the street then she just keeps her eye on the dog till we have gone passed. The articles on these pages have been a great encouragement nowing that other Lab owners go through the same problems. We normally take her first meal of the day (dry food not raw) in a treat bag and use it as rewards during our walks. I am sure that the problem with loose lead walking (pulling) sis not the dogs problem in the least but that the being on the other end of the lead needs the training the most. I know this is only the beginning of successful walking so we will both keep on keeping on. Thanks everyone for a great forum

4. babs75

babs75 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The walking in the neighborhood has been going so well lately (click-treat) that we decided to take Libby to the local duck pond today. It's a pretty good walk around, however, one thing I didn't anticipate were all the other people walking THEIR dogs. While everyone we encountered had wonderful dogs who quietly walked along side their owners, Libby went to her old ways, pulling, lunging, straining to get to the other animals and pretty much making my husband and I look a bit silly not having any control of our dog. As far as the ducks in the pond - she really wasn't that interested. No trips to the pond anytime soon....... it was pretty bad.

5. Annabellam

Annabellam Registered Users

Thank you for this. Training sometimes is a tough one, but once they get it, life becomes more fun. Very useful article.