Walking Zombie, what happened last night?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Re: Walking Zombie, what happened last night?!

[quote author=sunsetpines link=topic=9483.msg138825#msg138825 date=1421948719]
    I think Pippa's got an article that deals with night time crying for attention.

I think the theory is to convince them that nothing good comes of a middle of the night wake up...you are boring and uninteresting until a reasonable hour. I seem to recall the article talking about setting the alarm to wake them BEFORE they wake...and edging that time up every couple of days...but all with a "I'm totally boring" persona. If she isn't waking because she needs to go potty...then I think I would start to get creative.

Maybe giving her a small enclosed space with the crate door open...a place where she can get a drink, have access to a quiet toy, so that when she wakes up, she can entertain herself until you're ready to get up. It could be that she's too hot, or too cold, or wants to be on a different sleeping surface... ????

You just have to decide what you can tolerate versus what she is capable of doing. For me, I tolerate a once a night wake up - cuz I gotta go too! And I accept that as she gets older it should stop....but if it doesn't...I can cope.

good luck!
    [/quote]

I've read that article, but I'm not wanting to move to aversives such as spraying her with water :-[

Tried her , where she is in the day , with crate open, baby gate in place, but she just stands at it and barks and whines so makes no difference to her, little monkey!!!!

I'll do the ignoring she suggests first , it's my only option really that I'd feel comfortable with, even though I'll be shattered for the next week!!! If it goes on for more than a week I'll need to consider other options.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I would put her in a puppy pen, with a crate or bed in it. If you have to, put the puppy pen on Lino so it's not on carpet.

Go to bed as late as you can, make sure she has a pee and poo - take her for a walk round the block if you have to. Put her to bed in the pen/crate arrangement, put in ear plugs, and LEAVE HER. If she is absolutely desperate for a pee or poo, then she can get away from her bed to have one.

Get up at the end of the night, making that as short a time as you can manage while getting enough sleep that you can function, and she gets out of her pen when she is quiet.

No more fussing about whether she needs you or not, no more getting your attention. Bed time means no interaction from humans until the day starts and that's that.

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

As Julie has said it is 'tough love' time.

I was in exactly your situation a year ago. What I did.

I stayed up as late as possible (tough when you are knackered) took her out for a wee around mid night. Just a wee mind, in the garden, get on with it, no I don't want to play event.

Then into her crate and I simply ignored her protests. She was smart enough to know that no fun was in the offing and after the first night she just settled down and went back to sleep until about 5.45.

She would go out like a light, but I couldn't drop off so I spent several weeks existing on about 4 hours sleep.

Your problem is that you want to help them to be toilet trained and you feel you have to dash to them to let them out at the first whimper. Well, that' show I felt.

I did a routine, which I still use. She's a dog, she has excellent hearing, so she knows I am coming. I walk downstairs, adjust the central heating thermostat, unlock the front door, put the kettle on, turn on the radiator in the conservatory and open the back door. Then I walk into my study and let her out of her crate with a smile on my face. At first it was a mad dash to the garden for a wee, nowadays it's a stretc and an amble into the back garden for the first wee of the day. Little by little she has learnt control.

Don't worry. It will come. I can remember laying in bed and thinking 'oh my God. What have I done. have I wrecked our lives'

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I never got up in the night for Charlie, ever. He was in the pen/crate arrangement with newspapers from the get go. His toilet training went fine, no problems. He has never so much as whimpered in his crate, and never, ever, barked in the morning (or ever, in the house).

I might have got lucky, and it would have been this way in any event. But I do think removing all possibility a human is going to arrive when you make a noise definitely helps...

Before you think I'm a hard hearted so and so, now all that puppy stuff is over, he sleeps on the bed...

[​IMG]
    IMG_0512 by julieandcharlie, on Flickr

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Thanks both , I was so shattered we ended up in bed at 10.15pm, I trained and played an hour before bed and made sure she didn't sleep, then she slept through from then until 6.15 ( I heard her moving so got up before she whined) then quick wee and back to sleep until 7, with just a little wine that I ignored , and back to sleep she went.

I took her chews out of her crate, and put another of my tops in ( which she cuddled up to straight away) and realised I have been giving her less biscuits, 45g under per day since she's grown in last week ..ll.so think some of it may have been down to hunger?! However these are all theories.

I have a pen type arrangement during day but neighbours bedroom is right next to it.... However.... I was ready to take the flack if needs be!!!!! Don't want to jinx anything but hoping this could be a breakthrough....... Only time will tell!!!!!

Awwwww he looks so comfy , I couldn't sleep when she was on my bed, so in my room in her bed it is for now ::)

6. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=9483.msg138905#msg138905 date=1421968476]
    As Julie has said it is 'tough love' time.

Your problem is that you want to help them to be toilet trained and you feel you have to dash to them to let them out at the first whimper. Well, that' show I felt.

[/quote]

Completely agree, that's why I kept taking her out to wee even though I sort of knew she could last ::)

7. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Hi Claudia, I'm glad you had a better night. It's interesting hearing what everyone else does at bedtime. I still take Izzy out once in the night although that's probably my habit not hers. She did go through the other night and so did I so that was nice! They are still little so I think we shouldn't worry too much, as long as you get your sleep! My next thing to tackle is jumping up!

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I had one of each.

Tatze was crated and I got up later and later.

Gypsy couldn't bear her crate and shouted whenever she was in it, I knew she had to be decrated at 6 months anyway so got her a puppy pen at 12ish weeks. Then I could totally ignore the shouts as she could wee in the other end away from her bed, if needed - she never did.

I am tempted to do the same with the next puppy from day one. Clearing up in the morning seems less bad than losing sleep!

Here it is -

[​IMG]

9. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Hi Wendy, pleased to here your not up as often!!! How's izzy doing being left and has the whining and barking calmed down? It is interesting reading about others experiences, funny how some never bark or whine at home, I had heard labs were not meant to be barky dogs but Bella certainly has a voice!!! Barks for breakfast or when I am preparing her Kongs - tackled that one ( do it night before/when she's asleep), barks when she wants to play along with bow- that's fine! Barks if she's shut in the kitchen with baby gate, have to ignore that and she stops eventually, NEVER barks or whines if she's in the living room and I go downstairs ... Interesting!!

Unless she's asleep on sofa or occupied with a kong , I can't leave her in the living room, her new thing is eating the carpet...she's had a go at all of the corners , I'm collecting the bits and intend to do a patch up Job when we move!!!! She also enjoys biting my pony tail and not letting go - painful- but I'm sporting a bun now, ha!!!!!!

She's gorgeous though, can't imagine life without her now, even though I look like a zomby, wear old clothes and rarely have time for make up ;D

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9483.msg138940#msg138940 date=1422000655]
    I had one of each.

Tatze was crated and I got up later and later.

Gypsy couldn't bear her crate and shouted whenever she was in it, I knew she had to be decrated at 6 months anyway so got her a puppy pen at 12ish weeks. Then I could totally ignore the shouts as she could wee in the other end away from her bed, if needed - she never did.

I am tempted to do the same with the next puppy from day one. Clearing up in the morning seems less bad than losing sleep!

Here it is -

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Great den!!! I want one of those to chill in ;D

11. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Here it is -

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Is it wrong that the first thing I notice is the lovely wine rack??? ::) ::) ::) ::)

In all seriousness...where did you get the kennel? That looks like a wonderful solution, I've not seen one here in the US.

12. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=sunsetpines link=topic=9483.msg139026#msg139026 date=1422033078]

Here it is -

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Is it wrong that the first thing I notice is the lovely wine rack :) :)
    [/quote]

You noticed the rack.... I noticed the WINE!!! ;D