Water bottles and long lead.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Atemas, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thinking about our camping trip in June - I've bought the towels. Now need to consider what goes in my rucksack on little trips out. In fact I don't have a rucksack but think I am going to need a suitable lightweight one for various things.

Any recommendations for water container for dogs? Our older dog has never needed one - we have generally found dog water bowels out in cafes etc but I think I need to consider carrying water.

Also a long line as I am hoping we can get on the beach?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Doggy first aid kit - gauze, vet wrap, sterile saline solution for flushing eyes, antiseptic wipes, iodine, rubber boots in case of paw injuries, tweezers, small scissors and wire cutters (in case of barbed wire).

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

kateincornwall likes this.
  4. aslowrie

aslowrie Registered Users

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

7. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have the same problem when we go walking with Holly. We found this cloth water bowl in a garden centre for £3.99. We've been using it for 2-3 years and hasn't leaked yet. We just share aou water bottle with the dog when we stop for a drink.

[​IMG]

It scrunches into a small volume that can sit in a side pocket on your bag. I carry it in a bum bag with a 0.5 litre bottle on summer walks.

[​IMG]

DebzC likes this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We've got the same bowl as Mags and a small rucksack. I did clip a karabiner to the bowl & tied one to a bottle - turned out to be a ridiculous idea, having them swinging from my belt! I carry a big bottle of water in the car too, I'd hate to run out.

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

10. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have a water bottle that doubles as a bowl - I find I waste too much water pouring it out and then the dog not wanting it, so then I have to try get it back in the bottle. So having a water bottle the dog can drink from works for me.

It's a flatish round bottle with a handle and has a big round screw off lid on one side.

MF likes this.
  12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I like Platypus-type water bottles because when they aren't full anymore, they take up zero space in your bag.

This collapsable camping bowl (link is REI but I bought my last on in Germany) is my favourite of all time. Super light weight, folds completely flat. I had Brogan's for seven years and just bought a new one as I felt next pup should have his own color, but the old one looks brand new. I tried out one of a similar idea from a pet store and it was all wobbly. This one has a base that (in theory) can double as a cutting-board if using for camping, but it makes it great for a dog because it's stable.

For longer hiking day trips, I used to wear a double-holster water bottle waist pack. Brogan was good at drinking directly from a sports-top bottle. I'd drink from the bottle on my right hip and Brogan drank from the left. That worked great...as long as you don't forget which side was which. :eek:

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have had a collapsable bowl like @Hollysdad for years. It folds flat and I take a normal bottle of water which all fits in my small bag :) x

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I have an army canteen which has a shoulder strap and a small collapsible bowl which fits in my pocket or bag, but Moo likes to drink out of the bottle. She's funny like that

selina27 likes this.
  15. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

we are off to the Lake District in the summer and I'm thinking of taking a spray bottle of water in our small day backpack. When he gets hot H will splash in a water bowl with his paws which tips all the water out. I hope that if I can spray water onto his feet and tummy we won't wast precious water we've carried for miles and miles. Also thinking of getting one of those chamois cloths used to clean cars as they are small but very absorbent to give him a rub down before going into pubs or cafes.

Homer will drink water from the bottle as I pour it into my cupped hand. He doesn't like drinking water that other dogs have drunk from.

16. snowbunny

If you're going to the Lake District, can't he cool off in the lakes? :D
    Most walks I do in Andorra, I don't even bother to carry extra water for the dogs because we constantly come across springs, lakes and streams. Water from a bottle is boooooooring!!!

17. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

No doubt he will!
    When we took him to the Alps he ran up and down the hillsides so much he very nearly overheated.

snowbunny likes this.
  18. snowbunny

Ah yes, when it's hot, we have enforced rest time in the shade or in a lake :D

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly won't drink out of a bowl. When we are out I mean.
    Much prefers a stream...or muddy puddle...in the absence of that she loves drinking from a sports bottle.
    Just remember if you are using a bottle to keep it low no more than neck height to avoid the tendency to choke cough or splutter!

20. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Our Annie is no lady, she won't drink out of a bowl when out and about, but straight out of the bottle :chuckle:

Fred has a water bottle with a built in bowl.